We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Windows 7 beta to windows 7 Full
freezspirit
Posts: 994 Forumite
in Techie Stuff
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me.
At the moment my pc has 2 hard drives, 1 hard drive is for data etc and the other 1 is divided into 2 partions each 1 has an operating system. Ubuntu and Windows 7 beta.
Now I want to upgrade the win7 beta with the full version I purchased. I tried to just change the product key with the new one but it say invalid product key (This advise was given to me by the tech guy in pcworld).
Do I just put the dvd and it will give me options or would I need to do a install over win beta 7 or should I just get a new hard drive and do a clean install on that.
Beta version runs out in 10 days. So if anyone could help that would be great. Or should I just chicken out and take the pc down to repair shop and get them to do it?
At the moment my pc has 2 hard drives, 1 hard drive is for data etc and the other 1 is divided into 2 partions each 1 has an operating system. Ubuntu and Windows 7 beta.
Now I want to upgrade the win7 beta with the full version I purchased. I tried to just change the product key with the new one but it say invalid product key (This advise was given to me by the tech guy in pcworld).
Do I just put the dvd and it will give me options or would I need to do a install over win beta 7 or should I just get a new hard drive and do a clean install on that.
Beta version runs out in 10 days. So if anyone could help that would be great. Or should I just chicken out and take the pc down to repair shop and get them to do it?
0
Comments
-
Technically you need to do a clean install, as Microsoft doesn't allow you to upgrade the beta version. However, apparently it is possible to defeat it so that you can upgrade, I'll see if I can find a link.
Edit: Here we are... http://rumahabi.com/tutorial-to-upgrade-windows-7-beta-or-rc-to-windows-7-rtm.html
I believe it only works if you are staying with the same version (ultimate) though. Personally I would (will) just do a clean install.0 -
As if I could think any less of themfreezspirit wrote: ».... I tried to just change the product key with the new one but it say invalid product key (This advise was given to me by the tech guy in pcworld)..
It is possible to 'upgrade' over the beta, but a far better idea is to just clean installUtinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant.0 -
Thanks I think I will do a clean install on a new hard drive as it will be the 64bit ultimate and knowing my luck at the moment its better to spend £60 than to completely mess up a pc and have it down the repairers for a week.
Is this a good hard drive to get to install the operating system on
1TB Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3, SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm, 32MB Cache, 8.9 ms, NCQ, OEM
http://www.scan.co.uk/product.aspx?ProductId=30855
or do you think thats overkill just for the operating system. If so what size, brand and speed etc should I go for?0 -
Hello freezspirit,
With regard to Windows 7 Upgrade Discs:
Yes, you can perform a clean install from a Windows 7 upgrade version, however, you will have to have a valid previous copy of Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Vista installed to validate the upgrade and activate the product key. Please note that when migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7 you will not have an "in place upgrade" option. You will however have the option to select "custom" install when prompted. The Windows 7 install process will then copy all of your data in "My Documents" over to a Windows.old folder within Windows 7 itself. All applications and documents stored in other locations will have to be reinstalled / transferred manually.
For more information on the Windows 7 Upgrade, please go here: windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7
For additional assistance with the migration of Windows XP to Windows 7, please go here: technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ee150430.aspx
Just as an FYI:
"This is a reminder post for all the Windows 7 users still using the Release Candidate (build 7100) that was released to the public in May 2009. Bi-hourly shutdowns of this build will begin on March 1, 2010. This means that the user will be told to install a released version of Windows and their PC will shut down automatically every two hours. On June 1, 2010, if you are still on the Windows 7 RC, your license will expire and the non-genuine experience will be triggered. Your wallpaper will be removed and "This copy of Windows is not genuine" will be displayed in the lower right corner of your desktop, above the taskbar. Starting on February 15, 2010, Windows 7 RC should have started giving daily prompts to remind you about the expiration.
If you want to continue using Windows 7, we recommend moving over to the Windows 7 RTM (build 7600) that was released to the public in October 2009. Microsoft explained that this would happen when it gave out free copies of the beta (which has already expired) and RC builds, and you've had plenty of time to move over. If you haven't reinstalled a final copy of Windows, do so as soon as possible so as to avoid problems in the next few weeks."
To buy and to see prices:
microsoft.com/windows/buy/default.aspx
Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards