if i destroyed and disposed of a credit card....

Options
will the company ask for information on it/reqiure it back? :confused: I became debt free 9/06/06 and one card i have cancelled and closed but the one i have now (was only open 2 months before becoming debt free) i have just left sat there and i put stuff on it (ie £20 or less) in the month then cleared it when the statement arrived. But i want to destroy it and close the account but there is still some money sat on the card (ie i just made a payment but it will not clear till wednesday) so...

...can i destroy it without the 'permission' of the company? will they require it again? would it be worth me kepping the parts just in case? also will they allow me to close the account with it being open for such a little time?

thanks in advance :D

Comments

• C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i had a barclaycard once and i didnt phone up to cancel the card i just cut the card up and that was that
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • jay78
    jay78 Posts: 376 Forumite
    Options
    Call them up, cancel the card and then cut it up.
  • nrsql
    nrsql Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can just destroy it now and call them later to cancel.
    The card is the property of the card company so you shouldn't but it won't cause problems.
    When you cancel they will ask you to destroy it - it's up to you to say whether it's already destroyed. If they do ask for it you can always say it's lost or "had an accident".

>> would it be worth me kepping the parts just in case?
    I would keep them until you cancel.

>> will they allow me to close the account with it being open for such a little time?
    Yes - if it's clear. They will probably ask you why, offer a loan, ... but they will close it.
    Nothing wrong with being honest (ish) - just say you were using the card while you cleared debts and have no need for it any more.
  • Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I think it is always wise to have a credit card for emergencies and for online purchases as the protection you get is much greater than with switch etc.

As others have pointed out, the card is the property of the card company and not yours however the majority do just tell you to cut it up afterwards (but I did have one that asked for it to be returned) - likewise very occasionally they may ask for the security code off the back
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • CopperPlate_2
    CopperPlate_2 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Options
    I always usually send them just a corner of the card - I'd never send the whole thing even with the obligatory corner cut off. I send them usually a third of the card, cut diagonally so they can see most of my name, first few numbers of the card number and that's it. Make a point of ensuring the security code on the back doesn't go as well though. Am I paranoid? Probably. But I'd hate for someone to intercept it even with the corner off of it. Useless in shops but not on the Net. Doesn't matter even though I've phoned to cancel it - I know that even if someone has told me they've done something and assured me it's done, they might not always have done it right away or at all ;)

CP
  • Robert_Sterling
    Robert_Sterling Posts: 2,207 Forumite
    Options
    I always usually CP

I only do that 110% of the time!
  • CopperPlate_2
    CopperPlate_2 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Options
    DOH!

I more often than not do that :D
This discussion has been closed.