We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Spam/identity fraud e mails?

andygb
andygb Posts: 14,702 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
I have just received a couple of "dodgy" e mails (which I have not opened). I say dodgy, because appear to be from my e mail address, the spelling is exactly the same. On previous occasions I have had e mails with a similar address to my own, but these latest ones concern me.
I have right clicked and checked the message source to confirm that they are spam, but I still do not know how someone could have exactly the same e mail address as myself -same name, same provider, spelling and format identical.
Is this something that I should worry about? Has someone raided the password vault in my system to get these details?

Andy

Comments

  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,397 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    It's easy to generate a fraudulent email address, so don't worry - but it's a good idea to run full virus / spyware checks on your machine just in case it is dodgy software
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,702 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Thanks Alan, I have run the checks now, and there doesn't seem to be anything untoward.
  • closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    Try a scan with malwarebytes, it could also be one of your contacts (friends) that is infected.
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • A lot of Viagra spammers use sender=your.name@your.isp I use thunderbird and have a message filter which junks anything where I am the sender to myself
    4.8kWp 12x400W Longhi 9.6 kWh battery Giv-hy 5.0 Inverter, WSW facing Essex . Aint no sunshine ☀️ Octopus gas fixed 5.07 + Octopus Intelligent Flux leccy

    CEC Email energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.