'Winter Olympics consolation finals – I don't get it?' blog discussion

Options
2»

Comments

• amsquared
    amsquared Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yesterdays World Golf Championship World Matchplay which Ian Poulter won has a play off for 3rd and 4th from the two losing semi finalists. Don't think Sergio Garcia wanted to be in the consolation final at all. Not sure if this counts to ranking points but pretty certain the prize money is a lot different. Not that Sergio needs the money.
    Best Comp wins in 25 years of comping. Holidays to Hawaii, Toronto, Thailand twice, Dubai twice, Cyprus, Spain, Lake District, Glasgow and London. A couple of £1000 wins as vouchers. 2 Dimplex Fires. Baby cot and chest of drawers. £500 of blinds. Shibumi Jacket. Various small cash prizes under £500 and shopping vouchers. Cosmetics & weedkiller!
  • andyF1_2
    Options
    I think B / small Finals are fine as other people have said they sort out the placings below those decided in the main final.

I can also imagine it is hard to get motivated if you expected to make it to the main final!

The snowboard cross was really exciting however then I watched the Ski cross on the same course and that just blew my mind!
  • taka
    taka Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some of the summer olympics have B finals too. I saw one of the B finals in Rowing at the Sydney 2000 games. The atheletes looked pretty happy about winning them and the crowd was loving it so why not? If I'd spent years getting ready for the olympics I'd want to know exactly where I/we ended up even if it wasn't in the top 8.
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • donotpassgo_2
    Options
    We used to be able enter a "Plate" competition in Squash if you were knocked out at the first round, it was a great idea especially if you had travelled a long way and then only got one opportunity to play
  • MileySmiley_2
    Options
    I watched the skier cross and snowboard cross and loved ed's gaffe about errol flynn ...lol
    Anyway I think the reason they have a 'small' final is in case the 4 that race in the main final don't all finish, just say 2 snowboarders/skiers were to fall and not continue then the person who came 4th would in fact get a bronze medal....good idea really...but tbh I'd roll down the mountain on my bum just to finish :-D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure