Mobile phone insurance added without asking me!

Options
I took out two mobile phone contracts a couple of weeks ago with Vodaphone one for me and one for my husband.

I noticed when I got home that on the document it said in the corner "cover me insurance £12.99" so this has been added to each contract without me asking.

Can they do that?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    If you don't want it just cancel it (you get the first month free if you are buying direct from voda, so probably you had to opt out of the free offer).
  • Nickij
    Nickij Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I am going to call up and cancel it.

I am just a bit annoyed it wasn't even mentioned to me, I wasn't even given any documentation to explain what the insurance covered! I just think it just a bit cheeky. If I wasn't reading the paperwork over again I would never had realised and then been charged nearly £26 next month for insurance I don't even want!
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Nickij,

I agree that this should not have been added without your knowledge, where were the handsets purchased from?

Did you get a chance to call customer service and get the insurance removed from you and your husbands account? If not, we will be more than happy to take this off for you.

If you would like to contact us so that we can remove the insurance for you, feel free to contact us by clicking the link below -

Web Relations Team - Vodafone UK

(When contacting, please quote the code WRT135 in the subject line. In the message body, please include a link to this thread and your user name.)

Thanks,

Espi
    Web Relations Team
    Vodafone UK
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Nickij,

I agree that this should not have been added without your knowledge, where were the handsets purchased from?

Did you get a chance to call customer service and get the insurance removed from you and your husbands account? If not, we will be more than happy to take this off for you.

If you would like to contact us so that we can remove the insurance for you, feel free to contact us by clicking the link below -

Web Relations Team - Vodafone UK

(When contacting, please quote the code WRT135 in the subject line. In the message body, please include a link to this thread and your user name.)

Thanks,

Espi
    Web Relations Team
    Vodafone UK

Will you be taking appropriate action against the employee? If this has been added on without the customers agreement it does not play well with the FSA's Treating Customers Fairly...
  • Bad_Ash
    Options
    Interestingly when I took out a Vodafone contract recently they did mention the insurance but I insisted that I did not want it and as far as I knew the sales person cancelled it. I was slightly concerned that the printed invoice mentioned the insurance but had something scribbled next to it mentioning cancellation by the sales person.

A fews weeks later I phoned up Vodafone (about something unrelated) and asked them to confirm that the insurance was cancelled. It hadn't been.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure