PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Urgent Advice-Leasehold service charges

Options
Hi, I wonder if anyone could advise 3rd party, my friends daughter who is currently on maternity leave is in tears after receiving quite a demanding letter from the leaseholder of the flat she owns. It's in a block of four, the leaseholder rents out two of them and the other two (one of which my friend's daughter bought 3 years ago) seem subject to annual service charges.
She received a letter today firstly apologising for not receiving the service charges for last year but now 2 years were due, £1500 in total and due within 2 weeks, at the bottom of the letter it states if theses are not paid within 2 weeks 'further action' will be taken.
The charges aren't itemised specifically, but are inclusive of hedge trimming and painting of the building neither of which have been done.
I'm at a loss how to help her but she has asked if I can find out if there is anything she can do, the CAB apparently were no good and advised her to make an offer to pay monthly, but this isn't an option according to the letter, apparently the leaseholder is not an easy person to deal with!
The main issue for her is the 'demand' of immediate payment and the way the letter is written is pretty intimidating. I would really like to be able to offer her some advice and wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction.
Thankyou in advance for any advice given.

Comments

• gorgeouslatinrose
    Options
    Im pretty sure you can request an itemised list, but someone will be along soon with much more advice.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This website tells you everything you need to know about the rights and responsibilities of being a leaseholder:
    http://www.lease-advice.org/publications/
    It is also important to read the long lease to see when service charges are due, whether installments are allowable and what is chargeable. Hasn't your friend's daughter set aside money for last year's bill?? Unfortunately being skint is not an legitimate excuse, she is contractually obligated to contribute to the repairs and maintenance and can be taken to court if she fails to do so. To stall for a bit more time communicate with the freeholder in writing by recorded delivery and ask for a breakdown of the charges and copies of all service contracts.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • SouthCoast
    SouthCoast Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    Options
    This site is excellent:

http://www.lease-advice.org/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income