We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Gatwick North - lounge or cafe?

Options
Hi, I am travelling from Gatwick North on a 7am flight, debating is it worth booking lounge entry for 2 people, or can anyone recommend a quietish spot in one of the cafes? - really hate sitting in a crowd in the terminal. Thanks if you can give any info, have not travelled from Gatwick for years.

Comments

• Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most of the lounges will only open at 0600 and you would have to leave the lounge at 0630 at the latest, so I am not sure it makes any financial sense to pay £35 for 30 minutes!Gatwick North is not too bad for places to eat, depending on who you are flying and how long the flight is, you may well want to have a decent breakfast before departure.
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    It may be worth looking into the cost to stay the night before at the Sofitel which is connected to the north terminal...at least that way you would be at the airport the night before, not have to rush to get there, get there early and have a lot of time to kill. At least that way you can relax in your room until absolutely necessary. We've stayed there before and got up, headed to check-in early and get that done before the queues got really bad (though not with a flight quite as early as yours) and then went back to the room for a bit before heading through security.

OK, it doesn't necessarily solve the issue of the time at the terminal, but could shorten the time at the terminal at least.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • sierrakilo
    Options
    The North Terminal is a lot quieter these days anyway......A lot less flights being operated due to airlines cutting back on the schedules........ I'm sure you could find a quiet spot at that time of morning. Biggest gripe would probably be the time spent in the queue to get airside as they never seem to have enough security x-ray machines manned.
  • diddyangel
    Options
    I wouldn't pay extra for a lounge for such an early flight, it wouldn't open early enough for it to be worth the money. We flew from gatwick north on the first weekend of the school summer holidays on a 7am flight and the airport was pretty empty considering the peak time of travel. We had 2 young children with us so we couldn't have booked a lounge anyway but it would have been a waste of money. It got busier at about 6.15am but you board not long after that.
  • startedsaving
    Options
    Eek - accidentally ticked 'like this thread' - sorry, was trying to thank those who had replied... Anyway, thanks so much everyone, i think maybe lounge not worth it, hope airport will not be too busy. Many thanks again, happy holidays everyone! SS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport