PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice needed - Overcrowded and can't move

Options
Hi,
Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes.
We bought our one bedroom house just over 3 years ago, we have since had a baby and had always planned to move to a larger property before he was one.
He is now 2 and still sharing our bedroom and due to our financial circumstances changing in this time (Significant changes to child care meant that my wife had to reduce her hours at work and unsecured loans hanging over us) we are unable to increase our monthly expenditure.
A long story short, we currently pay out over £800 per month for loans that we had before we met, which are due to be repaid in 3-4 years but we can't keep our son in our room until he is 5-6!

We have thought about extending but can't increase our outgoings, we don't want to extend the term of our loans as we want to get rid of them ASAP, we can't sell our house to rent as the rent would be higher than our mortgage. The only thing that seems to be a good idea is a shared ownership property, but these tend to be available for first time buyers or key workers. We have even thought about putting a sofa bed in our living room but can't as we only have room for a small 2 seater!
As said we both work (I work 47 hours per week and my wife 21) and will be laughing in 3-4 years time.

Does anyone know if we have any other options available to us (i.e any government backed schemes etc) or any advice???

Thanks in advance
2010 Wins:
10 x Dorito's & Dips, £2,000 Pre-Paid Visa card.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,070 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Why not sell the house and buy or rent in a cheaper area?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • When_is_the_reset?
    Options
    I do feel sorry for you; you have been a victim of the credit bubble over the past decade and that easy time is over.

3 years waiting and making do is the sensible thing. Anything else will include borrowing more or extended the term - not so sensible.

Hopefully, one day everyone will see that the rush to buy our own house at crazy prices affects families and children and cannot continue.

Good luck.
  • Ashley3283
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Why not sell the house and buy or rent in a cheaper area?

Our mortgage at the moment is £350 per month, renting a 2 bedroom house in our area would be double that. Also it would be a backwards step as we would no longer be on the property ladder.
    I do feel sorry for you; you have been a victim of the credit bubble over the past decade and that easy time is over.

3 years waiting and making do is the sensible thing. Anything else will include borrowing more or extended the term - not so sensible.

Hopefully, one day everyone will see that the rush to buy our own house at crazy prices affects families and children and cannot continue.

Good luck.

Thanks for your advice, making do is probably our only choice.
    2010 Wins:
    10 x Dorito's & Dips, £2,000 Pre-Paid Visa card.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Could one of you take on a second job to increase the income? It wouldn't have to be forever, but might help pay the debts off much faster.

Is there a bit of the living room that could be sectioned off for a sleeping area for your child?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • pingu2209
    Options
    How about making the bedroom your child's room and have a bed settee in the lounge for you. It would be until you paid your debts off.
  • LittleMissAspie
    Options
    Maybe you could make the living room into the kid's bedroom. That would of course leave you with no living room or place to eat though.

Is it possible to get one of those consolidation loans at a lower interest rate and so shorten the term of your debts? Then you might only have to make do for two years.

I take it you've already pared your outgoings to the bone? The debt free wannabe board is good for showing you where you can save money.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,070 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ashley3283 wrote: »
    Our mortgage at the moment is £350 per month, renting a 2 bedroom house in our area would be double that. Also it would be a backwards step as we would no longer be on the property ladder.

Thanks for your advice, making do is probably our only choice.

find a cheaper area.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Seems to me it's the £800 a month loans that are the problem not the cost of renting a two bedroom house which is only £700 a month! What about a two bedroom flat in a cheaper area? Do you run two cars and do you really need to? It isn't a backwards step to rent if it gets you out of the enormous debt crater you are in at present. Complete one of these and post on the Debt-free Wannabe board for comments:
    http://www.makesenseofcards.com/soacalc.html
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • blckbrd
    blckbrd Posts: 454 Forumite
    Options
    Could you not re-mortgage to cover some, if not all, of the unsecured debt? The interest rate may be lower at least.
    Opinion, advice and information are different things. Don't be surprised if you receive all 3 in response. :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ashley3283 wrote: »

...we can't keep our son in our room until he is 5-6!
    Whilst not ideal, I had a friend who was still sharing her parents' bedroom when she was 13.

Can you get creative with the layout of your place at all?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure