PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

help please - should i buy out my partner?

Options
Hi there-

Hoping to get some advice on my current situation. My husband and I are in the process of separating, its been on the cards for a while and so far we have been able to keep it relatively amicable. The one aspect that is causing us grief is our house. Its a 2 bed so even if we are in separate rooms we are getting on each others nerves and there is no way we can really move on with our lives while still being under the same roof..

We bought the house at the peak of the market but got a pretty good deal so we have managed to avoid negative equity. The house is probably worth about 133K and the mortgage remaining is 119K.
We have considered selling it but as we are still in our fixed rate period for the next 2 years we would face a 4k penalty.
I am considering buying him out (my parents would have to help me out) but i am worried if that is a bad move.. i could rent out the extra room to help with the bills but have also calcualted that I could manage the full mortgage alone.
I am also worried that if I decide to not sell after the fixed rate is up in 2 years I would be rejected for a re-mortgage as I am on 29k a year..

sorry this is a little vague, i just thought i'd see what peoples thoughts were as its a little overwhelming for me..
Thanks for reading.
April NSD Challenge 6/15 :rolleyes:
VSPC £39.88/200 :cool:

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not clear what your concerns are..

to afford the mortgage and bills alone? you say you can even without a lodger, so with one..... no prob.

to get a new mortgage if you decide not to sell? Why will you need one. The fixed rate ends, you either move automatically onto their variable rate, or agree a new deal - it's the same lender, same 'mortgage', but different product.
  • When_is_the_reset?
    Options
    Ask him to buy you out and rent a small place for yourself - it could be the best thing you ever do.
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't buy him out. That way, you take all the risk, he takes none. The best thing to do is sell and make a clean break - it may be tough, but at least then you share the risk.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    £29k would get you approximately £100k mortgage, so you'd then need £30k in cash to cover the rest. If there's about £14k equity, then there's £7k, so you'd need £23k from your parents.

If you do buy him out, then perhaps agree a reasonable price, then perhaps deduct half what you would have paid in selling fees and solicitor.

If you like the house and want to stay living there, then I can't see anything wrong with buying him out.

I would go and speak to a mortgage advisor to see if the mortgage can feasibly transferred into your name only.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure