PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

bridging mortgage advice

Options
Hi,

I am trying to move house. I have found a property I like yet still have to sell my own. A family member has offered to bridge the gap i.e. so I don't need to sell as part of a chain and I can get moving on the new one.

However I talked to an IFA and they say its not possible as I need to continue to pay for the old mortgage and if i repay it I will be due an early repayment charge.

All very confusing but was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems.

Ta

Comments

• Milliewilly
    Milliewilly Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    Options
    So theres no problem in buying your new one as you can borrow from a family member. In that case you could leave your old house and keep paying the mortgage on it - but it will be unnocupied so check with your insurer and lender. When it (hopefully quickly) sells then move the mortgage onto your new property (if its portable) and pay the family member back. There may be complications with stamp duty here but I am sure someone more knowledgable than me can advise.

Some lenders will waive the early payment providing you take up the loan again in a 6 month period so may be worth asking.

A word of warning - I have seen well intentioned bridging loans turn sour when the house fails to sell (in this case 18 months) and the seller is rejecting offers because of what he 'needs' for the house without consideration to the people who are losing money on their cash lump sum that could have been invested elsewhere.
  • delmar39
    delmar39 Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    Options
    This is the problem with looking before you've sold or at least accepted an offer. Unless you sell you'll have two properties, one with an existing mortgage. If you had sold you could 'port' your mortgage to the new place thus avoiding the penalties. You could rent your place out, but this to be honest could be more hassle than it's worth. I think you need to sell and quick.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,072 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Transfer the old mortgage to the new place to avoid early redemption charges and get the family member to finance this until the old one sells.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure