PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Reducing the price of your house

Options
OUr house has been on the market for four weeks. In that time, we have had 4 viewers, one of which was a second viewing. I feel that it is a bit overpriced and am prepared to be knocked down a bit, just like I will do when I finally find somewhere. Anyway, we did not get any viewers last weekend and, if we don't get any this weekend, I think we will reduce the price as I just want to get things moving.

Do you agree that after 4 weeks, if the viewers have dried up, we should think to reduce a bit? Or should we hang on in there until the weather improves and the garden looks better?

Comments

• goldengirl28
    goldengirl28 Posts: 336 Forumite
    edited 17 February 2010 at 2:15PM
    Options
    don't rush into anything

i put my house on 06 dec..had 4 viewings, and one of them said its over priced and needs anew bacthroom.

i rang the EA in a panic thinking what to do and i offered to knock 5k off and put in a new bathroom!!!!!!!!!!!.......the EA said sit tight and lets see. 5 weeks later (after 4 offers) i have accepted an offer 3k off the asking price.
    2010 challenges
    Saving £8k to add to house deposit - done:D
    8000/10,200 done 28 April (started jan 1 2010)
    Lose 2 stone/ -5/23 to go
    Sell our house and buy another one
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    I'm no house selling expert by any means but personally I would look at others in the area and see how quickly others are shifting. If they are all going in a couple of days then perhaps consider changing your strategy but if they are all sitting for months then sit tight. Ultimately, don't rush into anything
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think four viewers in four weeks might be considered a good result in the current climate, depending on where you are of course.....
  • whitesatin
    whitesatin Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ali-t wrote: »
    I'm no house selling expert by any means but personally I would look at others in the area and see how quickly others are shifting. If they are all going in a couple of days then perhaps consider changing your strategy but if they are all sitting for months then sit tight. Ultimately, don't rush into anything

Ours is different to the rest of the houses in the street. Unfortunately we have the best house in the "worst" street. It is difficult to compare and the agents varied greatly in their valuations. We did not go with the highest valuation but one in the middle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure