PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can't sell a shared ownership, not allowed to rent it.. have to move.. suggestions?

Options
Hello!

We have own 80% of a shared ownership home and 20% belongs to a first time buyer association.

We need to sell, but haven't put it on the market yet as we're expecting problems. To be allowed to buy the house you have to fit certain criteria, which when we bought 3 years ago we didn't quite match but were allowed anyway.

Our entire close is under the same scheme and there are 3 other houses up for sale and all have been for over a year.
We have spoken to the estate agent dealing with them and they say that there are lots of people interested but the association keeps turning them down when they apply as the association have gone very strict.

Part of our contract with this association say's we are not allowed to rent out the house.

So we are going to have a problem I am looking for suggestions from people who have maybe been in this situation? Before I have an almighty row with the association, or just go ahead and rent the house regardless!

Thanks

Bex

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Does the rentng restrictions still apply if you buy the other 20%?
  • BexInLondon
    Options
    Friends of mine in SO have been able to rent out their houses temporarily (up to a year) despite their lease saying they can't. Otherwise, some HA's have a clause whereby if it's on the market unsold for a certain period it can be put on the open market.

Is there any way at all you can buy the remaining 20%?

Another Bex :)
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    Speak to the associaton making/changing the rules.

Perhaps arrange a meeting en masse with everyone affected.
  • Bexm
    Bexm Posts: 455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We can't buy the extra 20%, it's got to stay part of the 80% scheme..!
    I will check my contract again to see what happens about renting, but I expect our mortgage would be in the same boat and not allow us to rent..!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure