PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How honest do EAs have to be?

Options
First off, let me say this isn't intended as an EA bashing thread, rather I was pondering the answer to quite a specific question.

I recently pulled put of a house sale following a survey which found evidence of structural movement in several parts of the house. Until I had the results of the survey the Sold board was up outside the house and it was marked as Sold on the website. Now it's back For Sale again so if a buyer asks the question "I see property X was sold, but it's now for sale again. What's the story?', is there any code (legal, moral or otherwise) that dictates the EAs answer?

Comments

• mlz1413
    mlz1413 Posts: 2,894 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The EA can give a general answer that the buyer they had pulled out.

The EA and vendors have no responsibility to tell the next prospective buyers about your survey results. I think as long as they don't lie to a direct question then they would not be breaking any code of conduct.

When HIPS were first discussed the survey was to be part of the sellers responsibility, which most people where in favour of and makes the most sense.
  • Horizon81
    Horizon81 Posts: 1,594 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So you're saying they can tell a limited version of the truth for their own ends? What if the potential buyer says 'Was it the result of a bad survey?'
    There's no truth to that other than 'yes'!
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    "Was it the result of a bad survey?"

"The viewer/buyer withdrew after commissioning their survey. I can't comment on the results of that survey - that's between that viewer and their surveyor. They didn't share their survey with me"

A possible scenario?
  • princessamy86
    Options
    If someone asked me directly whether or not it was the result of a bad survey, I would probably say yes. It's pointless to let another buyer get to the same stage and pull out. I'd be having a word with the vendor to either get the work done or reduce the price accordingly, and then I could say "Yes, it was a bad survey but the vendor is doing x,y and z to sort it out" or "Yes, bad survey but the price has been reduced to reflect the work that needs doing".

I would be recommending to the vendor that we made it clear at offer stage that the bank weren't happy with the survey last time-at the end of the day it needs to be on their instructions.
    Scar tissue that I wish you saw, sarcastic mister know it all, close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause with the birds I'll share this lonely view.
  • Chinkle
    Chinkle Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just because you pulled out, doesn't means others will. I think the EA will conduct viewings as normal and see what develops. Plenty of sales fall through for numerous reasons and I can't see it making any buyer unduly suspicious, unless of course they walk round what is clearly a house falling to bits.

The only situation I've come across is where the survey comes back and the mortgage company won't lend on it. Then the EA has put it back on the market as 'cash buyers' only, simply as they don't want to waste their time with prospective buyers who need to borrow to fund the purchase.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It works both ways, as well.

Perfectly possibly for viewer/buyer to say "The survey was fine. I've just changed my mind" when it was really due to the survey.

Perfectly possible for viewer/buyer to say "I've got lending in place" when they haven't.

etc etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport