PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mistakes on HIP on property we are purchasing?

Options
Hi there,

Just a quick question - there are a couple of points on the HIP of the property that we are buying that are incorrect and I'm wondering if this is going to delay the sale at all?
The mistakes are not an issue to us, in fact they work in our favour but I'm wondering if the solicitor might pick up on it? It is a DIY HIP if that makes a difference.

It states that the hot water is heated by immersion when it is not and it states no cable or satellite at the property when in fact it is cable. We are not concerned by either point being wrong but we are concerned that it may delay the chain somehow as our buyer is keen to move asap.

Many thanks for the help (can you tell I'm a complete novice? :D)

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you spoken with your conveyancing solicitor about this?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is this in the PIQ?
  • seabright
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about what's in the HIP - I barely look at them when they come in, as the searches & enquiries aren't done to the standard I require for my clients and the standard my clients' lenders require. I use the Drainage & Water search, so long as it's less than 6 months old, ditto the land registry papers, but that's it. The other information I replace with better, more accurate and more detailed searches.

Incidentally, when/if I sell, I shan't bother getting a HIP - £350/£400 for a (useless) HIP or a £200 fine which has never been imposed by Trading Standards, because they have better things to do.

Sorry, I'll get down off my hobby horse now!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 February 2010 at 3:51PM
    Options
    Why should it delay anything. Your solicitor might or might not look at the HIP. If he does he'll see immersion and no cable. Do you think he'll know what's really there?
    And if he does query it, you'll just tell him you're happy with the existing heating and communications set-up and instruct him to proceed.

I agree with seabright - HIPs are mostly a waste of time.
  • frafferty
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies :)
    Fire Fox - no, not yet as we weren't sure if it was an issue or not. It's not a problem to us :)
    david29dpo - yes.
    seabright - thank you, that is what I thought.
    G_M - that is the precise point that I made to my husband last night :rotfl:
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    seabright wrote: »
    ,Incidentally, when/if I sell, I shan't bother getting a HIP - £350/£400 for a (useless) HIP or a £200 fine which has never been imposed by Trading Standards, because they have better things to do.

Sorry, I'll get down off my hobby horse now!

I agree about Hips but are you also going to market the house yourself when the EA will likely refuse to take on a property without at least an EPC completed?

-
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport