PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Worried completion dates wont match - where will i go?

Options
camper_1982
camper_1982 Posts: 186 Forumite
edited 17 February 2010 at 10:36AM in House buying, renting & selling
Sold our house, they need to be in asap as moving back to uk. Said will do our best to move out in march.
Brought somewhere, they said they werent in a chain, yet had the paperwork from there solicitor and they said sale is dependent on them buying a new property. stated the stage they are at that its going through.

So i rang the estate agent for the house we are buying and he said they have brought a house through them and told me the address, said its no chain so should all be fine.

So i looked on rightmove and found their new house and it doesnt state its no chain and looks like its lived in at the moment.

this chain could get bigger and bigger and i dont know where i stand.

I need to sell the house as we got the asking price, which is rare as the buyer wants it to go through asap. so we have to get out and take the money,

i know i can put most of the stuff in storage, but what do i do about a short term let.

family dont live local so thats not an option. and we dont have that much money to be wasting on rent as we want it for the house.

any advice given mostly appreciated.

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Travel Lodge or similar might be your best option.

You could delay your departure, but it's not very nice thing to do.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • kmmr
    kmmr Posts: 1,373 Forumite
    Options
    You have accidently ended up in a chain, but to be fair, it's not your buyers fault. You will have to either risk the sale of your house by deeply annoying your buyers, or swallow the cost of finding a short term rental.

As a non-chain buyer in all my purchases, I put a lot of value on the seller not being in a chain, so if I were you I wouldn't mess them around or you will put your sale at risk.
  • princeofpounds
    Options
    You won't be paying interest on your mortgage, so you should be able to fund a short term let out of income. If you can't, your finances are actually quite perilous (or at least your cashflow).

Look for a short let, a B&B, a hotel or a friend's spare room. It's not especially scary.
  • camper_1982
    Options
    I know its not the buyers fault so we want to make sure we can accomodate there moving in plans. We will be able to afford a short term let, as you said we wont be paying the mortgage once we have completed, i best get some prices of b&b's to see what we will need to pay.

Does anyone know if i pay a removal firm to get my furniture and pay the storage fee, do i have to pay again to get it delivered to my new house?
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lodger accommodation is not constrained by a minimum six month let, you might e-mail colleagues, friends and acquaintances in your area and ask if anyone is interested in letting their spare room for a month or so. There are also lodger websites.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport