Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course - Advice

Options
southernguy_2
southernguy_2 Posts: 257 Forumite
edited 17 February 2010 at 12:37AM in Motoring
Hi

Before i begin i'm looking for advice not a virtual beating

I was convicted of drink driving last summer :o

Not proud of the fact and have suffered the humiliation and beaten myself up mentally since which i hasten to add i deserved.

I was fortunate to be offered the chance to reduce my 18 month ban by completing the course Four months off i believe.

However i do not currently own a car and am in no rush to go driving again like some others who take the course to get their ban reduced and drive again.

I've learnt my lesson but not in a rush to return to the road as i'm quite lucky as i live close to work and can commute by train or bus.

My question is if in the future i decide to drive again will completing the course really benefit me by reducing my insurance quotes or is it more tailored to people trying to get their licences back early

or will i still suffer if i went for insurance in five years time

I'm 36 years old and had 19 years NCB

Should add not embarrassed about doing course (well i am don't really want to be there but that' s life) as everyone will be in the same boat just wondering whether it's worth saving £200

Appreciate your answers

Thanks

Comments

• atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    i dont beleive it will reduce your premium before the 5 year declaration, if youve been ordered to complete a retest after the ban then your liscence starts from the day you pass as your previous licence you held for x amount of years would have been revoked and as for the NCB they wont exist any more, i could be wrong but this was my understanding of it. perhaps someone else can advise more on the subject.

i hope you've learned your lesson,you will get some flack so be prepared.
  • southernguy_2
    edited 17 February 2010 at 1:16AM
    Options
    Thanks for the reply

I don't need to do a retest as i'm an old person of sorts

So no need i just re-apply apparentley

Flack yes i suppose i should expect but why ive been honest and said im ashamed and embarrassed

Dont need flamers just advice been honest and just want help not a moral lesson i've had enough of them(not directed at first reply by the way)

It's not something i did before (and before the once is enough brigade come out) yes it was wrong i've learnt my lesson

Just need some advice

Am i the only one whose ever posted something similar if i am then sorry i would of posted on some other site where all the drink drivers, rapists, war criminals and !!!!!philes post

Suppose i'm really looking for someone who has completed the course really

Thanks
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    Thanks for the reply

I don't need to do a retest as i'm an old git of sorts

So no need i just re-apply apparentley

Flack yes i suppose i should expect but why ive been honest and said im ashamed and embarrassed

Dont need flamers just advice been honest and just want help not a moral lesson i've had enough of them(not directed at first reply by the way)

It's not something i did before (and before the once is enough brigade come out) yes it was wrong i've learnt my lesson

Just need some advice

Am i the only one whose ever posted something similar if i am then sorry i would of posted on some other site where all the drink drivers, rapists, war criminals and !!!!!philes post

Suppose i'm really looking for someone who has completed the course really

Thanks

personally i think your post is to the point, you havent come accross as seeking compfort and sympothy or to try and beat the system. wich is good, many posts i read have been of seeking sympothy or to try and beat the system in place.

if i came accross as haveing a go i wasnt. you do get a minority of those who take great pleasure in flameing in such posts as these, as its a bit late in the night check back tomorrow as those who have the knowladge in these situations may be able to advise.

as you have not been told to retest im not 100% sure how it would affect you surcumstances. but insurance wise i think NCB's are null and void after 12months of no cover.

you would have to declair your ban to your new insurers for 5 years, and doubt youd get any reduction premium because you took the DD education course, after the 5 years has expired you no longer have to declair to insurers and can have the ban codes removed from your license in so many years of them on there not sure how many.

keep checking back.
  • southernguy_2
    edited 17 February 2010 at 1:31AM
    Options
    Hi Atrix wasn't have a pop at you i'm a girl who uses her other halves/Halfs (not sure about that one) account now and again to post

Lol watch them run away oh its a girl we was expecting it to be a bloke with the name

just wanted some advice
    Rather be honest than flowering it up what i did was wrong i know and it's cost me a lot but i am not going to blame anyone else or any situation i'm a mature adult and have too take responsibility for my actions
    Oh the people who were happy to buy my car with no tax or no insurance and drive home

some of us do it right and then every so often do something silly bet the woman/bloke who bought the car didN't give a care about tax or insurance

i DID

Will check back tomorrow

Take Care
  • DirectDebacle
    Options
    Most attendees are there to benefit from the 25% reduction on the ban.

Attending the course will not affect your NCB so if the ban reduction is not important to you put the £200.00 towards your insurance.

To see what effect the conviction has on your NCB simply do an online quote.Using your (old) vehicle details, enter the conviction to compare with what you were paying.

Some insurers will recognise an existing NCB with up to a 2 year lapse in insurance.
  • decsdad
    decsdad Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I believe it remains on your licence for 11 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure