PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Scotland contract question

Options
Hi

(i live in Scotland)

I am a student who signed a tenancy for 6 months with two others. I have paid my rent every month, with the final payment being on the 1st Feb.

I contacted my landlord to say i was not resigning the tenancy and he said that i should have given him 2 months notice and as i did not he will be charging me two months rent.

The landlord has not given myself or the other two tennants a copy of the contract we signed. He never has even made an effort too, even when we have asked several times now. So the only person who has a copy of the contract we signed is our landlord.

The contract is individual, not joint.

My question is in two parts.

Can he charge me 2 months rent as he says ?

If he never provided me or anyone else a copy of the contract we signed, is that legal and can any terms in that contract be upheld?

Thanks

Comments

• Nosht
    Nosht Posts: 744 Forumite
    Options
    Usually the contract includes a 2 month notice period to cover the LL.
    Also check with your local council that he is a Registered Landlord & if not you have the option of reporting him if he is awkward as he will be liable to a massive fine if not registered.

N.
    Never be afraid to take a profit. ;)
    Keep breathing. :eek:
    Just because I am surrounded by FOOLS does not make me wise. :j
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Options
    When does the fixed term of your tenancy expire, I am pretty sure it is the same in Scotland and that you can leave on the last day of your tenancy without giving any notice but check on the scotland shelter site to be sure.
  • bambammy
    bambammy Posts: 393 Forumite
    edited 19 February 2010 at 5:22PM
    Options
    Did you give him one month's notice. That's all that is required. But you have to make sure the Tenancy will not auto renew on the 1st Feb.

Scottish Shelter is helpful and they have an online ask for help facility.

Landlord has to give you two months.

Did you receive a inventory, AT5, grounds for eviction, gas certificate, EPC report.

If he is not registered the local authority can also issue a Rent Penalty Notice. http://www.pkc.gov.uk/Housing/Private+housing/Private+landlords+-+advice+and+support/

Search here to see if landlord is registered https://www.landlordregistrationscotland.gov.uk/Pages/Process.aspx?Command=ShowHomePage
    bam bam bammy Shore by The Revellers...do do de de do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport