PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Implications of sewer in garden

Options
I wonder if I could get a bit of advice,

I've been looking at a property to buy, and it ticks all the boxes, but also has quite a bit of free land on which I could extend the property in the future. However, having looked at the drains layout, I see that there's a public foul sewer running under the garden, directly under where I would build the garage/extension.

When deciding whether or not to proceed with the house, should I assume that the property is unlikely to receive pp for the extension, or is it relatively easy to nail this uncertainty before I go any further down the road?

Comments

• princeofpounds
    Options
    I can't talk about PP, but it's highly likely that the water company will have a right to access it at any point and dig it up. They would have to cover it over of course but if you erect a building over it and they do have a right to access it, then you have to take that part of the building down again.

Note that they don't necessarily have the right, but it's common.
  • LisaLou1982
    LisaLou1982 Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    As long as you moved the access to the sewer then that shouldnt be a problem
    £2 Savers Club #156! :)
    Looking for holiday ideas for 2016. Currently, Isle of Skye in March, Riga in May, Crete in June and Lake District in October. August cruise cancelled, but Baby due September 2016! :j
  • pingu2209
    Options
    I would speak to a Builder to ascertain the additional costs for this work. Drains can be very expensive to deal with. The foundations for extensions (even single story) have to be really deep now, building regs are getting tougher and tougher. It may be that the foundations need to be deeper than the sewer so the sewer needs to be moved - this is more expensive than just moving the access. Also, you need to find a place that you can move the sewer to!
  • ab7167
    ab7167 Posts: 680 Forumite
    Options
    try googling "build over consent"

each water authority will have their own rules, but if you want to build over a public foul sewer, I would imagine you may have problems. If they need to dig up the sewer, you would need to demolish anything you built over it.

Moving the sewer may be possible, but you would need to consent of the water board, and they may not grant this. they are typically very vague on the phone, and generally will not comment until they get actual plans. I have spent many a frustrating hour on the phone to Thames Water on this subject.

One thing you might like to check is that the sewer is actually in existance where it is shown on the plan, they can vary and this may save your plans if it is further away from the house than shown on the deeds.

the depth of the foundation will depend on many things, I put some in a few months ago that were only 450mm deep, and have had to go as deep as 2250mm deep in other areas. You can run pipes through foundations if you do it properly.

planning permission is not an issue, they would not concern themselves with things that are underground, you would need building regulations approval for the foundation, but that would only cover the depth and width, and possibly any detail where a pipe passed through the foundation. the build over consent from the statutory water authority is the main document that you would need, and they would likely not comment or give permission without seeing plans.

hope this helps, the Thames water guide does give some guidance on what they will accept.

The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind
    Getting married 19th August 2011 to a lovely, lovely man :-)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Speak to your solicitor/see the title deeds to see what restrictions there are.
  • Perelandra
    Perelandra Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses to my post.

This is pretty much as a I thought- it certainly reduces the attractiveness of the property to me, which is a real shame as otherwise the property was perfect!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure