Redundancy: were we consulted? and various other problems

Options
This is my first post so please be gentle with me! I work for a local authority and have done for 4 years on a permanent 28 hours a week contract. Just before Christmas we were all taken into a room and told that our LA were having to make significant savings, my Head of Service produced a new departmental structure that completely wiped out the section I work in. We were told that there would be a consultation process and "to not even think about ways in which we could deliver our service because it wasn't going to make any difference", we were also asked not to discuss this with our customers (we are a front line customer facing service). We kept quiet and then an email came round from the Chief Executive saying we were in a consultation period. Again we were told by our Head of Service that we couldn't work with another part of our department in delivering the service "because it wasn't going to happen". At this point I had a discussion with my Unison rep, to ask why weren't we allowed to discuss this with our customers and why the LA was not consulting our customers. She said she would find out and dispite emails I never found out an answer. Anyway after several long winded Council meetings, the Councillors voted to remove our service (along with a few others). This happened last night. This morning I find out that one of the sections in my department is going to take over selling some of the products we sell, I would say that this is 70% of our job. So basically my question is, can I do anything about the consultation bit and is it in order for them to shift our job to another member of staff that doesn't have anything to do with what we do and not consult us or offer us the job? Btw we haven't got our official notice of redundancy yet. Any comments gratefully received.

Comments

• hamsterholly
    Options
    Sorry to hear all that your going through. I cant answer all your questions but my husband has just been through the consultancy period and he was advised by letter about it. They have just finished the consultancy period and have just received their redundancy letter. I dont know if a company has to advice you about the consultancy period in writing.

Best of luck for the future.
  • jazzyman01
    Options
    So many questions, how many people involved regarding redundant posts? If new people doing 70% of your job (rest of team?) then they must also have seen a downturn so why were they not in the pot? Not fair consultation if not given the opportunity to put your viewpoint across - notes? Is the union recognised in the workforce? If so, they should have been in the consultation meetings.
  • Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    It sounds reasonable to me as your jobs don't exist any longer. Yes they may have transferred a small part of it but this is reasonable.

As for not telling customers. This is there choice. Do not get caught doing it though as its potentially Gross misconduct.
  • BOB_A_H
    BOB_A_H Posts: 180 Forumite
    Options
    Anihilator wrote: »
    It sounds reasonable to me as your jobs don't exist any longer. Yes they may have transferred a small part of it but this is reasonable.

As for not telling customers. This is there choice. Do not get caught doing it though as its potentially Gross misconduct.

Do you always come down on the side of the bussiness / organisation?
    Can they do no wrong in your eyes?
    Do you have any compassion at all for individuals being messed around?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure