PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is there any inherent problem with buying from divorcing couples?

Options
We found a nice house (but hadn't set our heart on it) that was being sold by a couple going through a divorce (they weren't divorced yet). They'd put it on the market for £379k but we thought it was only worth £360, based on similar properties in the same street on the market at the time.

We put an offer in and it was rejected (£344) but - slightly unusually - they said they would come back to us (last week) with a price that they felt was their 'lowest' they could drop to.

Anyway, we didn't hear anything from either the EA (who we thought was inept) or the owners. The house has been on the market for six months as we were the first and only offer they've received.

I called the EA today to ask what was going on: either they want to sell their house or they don't. We're now proceedable with an offer on ours, but they didn't seem to be in any sort of hurry.

Anway, they've now called today to say that they're taking the house off the market and that they can't afford to move. Basically, because they've divorcing, they're getting half each but neither can afford to buy a property with what they'll get, because they don't know a further mortgage at their age. So, they're going to wait for 'prices to increase' when they can get more.

It seems so stupid to me. They're assuming the prices will increase and they're fannying about in the meantime. They've massively overvalued the property and they've wasted our time.

So, my question is - and I hope it doesn't cause offence - is it a 'risky' business buying property from divorcing couples? I only ask because another house we've seen is being sold by a divorcing pair. Is it no different to other sales? Or are there more considerations because you have - effectively - two individual sellers rather than one party (so to speak)?

Comments

• pie81
    pie81 Posts: 530 Forumite
    Options
    Yes it's more risky, as you have found out. Both parties have to want to sell - and often in a divorce this is not the case. If you have a reluctant seller they may well change their minds half way through (whether this makes financial sense or not).

We also liked the look of a property being sold by a divorcinig couple - on our first viewing the husband was there and sold the place well, on our second viewing the wife was there and said she didn't want to sell and was hoping husband would buy her out... Alarm bells rang and guess what, property was off the market a week later.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think there are inherent problems buying from human beings in general! We're all prone to being a bit irrational, greedy, unrealistic and flaky at times.

A lot of divorcing couples will be desperate to get their hands on the equity so will be after a quick sale and won't cause any problems, some will still be squabbling and will be a nightmare but then all sorts of issues crop up with all sorts of house sales.

Good luck!
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    If they have both moved out - no, if one of them is still there yes.
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We weren't told our house was a divorce sale. First the husband became uncontactable for document signatures, then the wife (who didn't want to leave her home) took forever to return every document required, and generally delayed everything she could.
    Been away for a while.
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Options
    Basically, because they've divorcing, they're getting half each but neither can afford to buy a property with what they'll get..So, they're going to wait for 'prices to increase' when they can get more.

It seems so stupid to me

It is stupid - the price rise that they are waiting for to 'lift' the value of their property will mean other properties will rise in value to a similar degree and means they will not enjoy any greater affordability since onward properties will simply cost more, too.
    So, my question is - and I hope it doesn't cause offence - is it a 'risky' business buying property from divorcing couples

Probably.

My sister had a couple who insisted they were were cash buyers for her property, only to then be told when she'd taken it off the market that there was a dependency on the lady's former marital home being sold. It then transpired that her ex-husband, a joint owner of that property, was refusing to sell it and she has to take him to court. They were neither cash buyers, nor was her actual property even in the process of being sold because of the obstructive joint owner.
  • mlz1413
    mlz1413 Posts: 2,894 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The only difference with a divorcing couple as you found is the funds are being split rather than going on to next purchase.

Buyers have experienced problems with sellers and vice versa since money was made, you have just got a couple who can't actually afford to sell this maybe because they have a mortgage higher than house current value or just because they won't clear enough to live in the style they have acustomed to.

Either way your offer made them actually make a decision and that was not to continue, you may well find this couple are still living together as divorced in 5 yrs time marketing the house above current value.
  • claireac
    claireac Posts: 983 Forumite
    Options
    My house had to be sold when I divorced xh and it was a bloomin' nightmare!!

I'd already moved out and into rented, but there was no way on this planet that he was going to leave without a fight, and a big one at that. He took the for sale sign regularly, didn't turn up for viewings, made parts of the house inaccessible by leaving the dog there when ea did viewings. In the end I had to take him to court and it was taken out of his hands........Luckily our buyer wasn't in a huge rush, and hung on in there.

I have to say it would put me off buying from a divorcing/seperating couple :eek:.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's just a shame really. I'm tempted to go back with a final 'look, we offer £160k if you sell - but don't mess us around' offer, to pressurise them into making a decision and selling, but I'm worried it's better to stop now and look elsewhere (which we're doing anyway) because there's a risk they'll only mess us about later on down the line.
  • princeofpounds
    Options
    They change their minds all the time... I lost out on a letting thanks to them deciding they couldn't even cope with jointly managing it once.
  • Nixer
    Nixer Posts: 333 Forumite
    Options
    Only an issue if they are numpties. The two in your case have to accept that when you divorce you only have one salary going towards accommodation, therefore you cut your cloth... If that means buy a shoebox, rent, or move into a houseshare, so be it. A shame they wasted your time but that's housebuying and selling. I suspect they'll be waiting a long time before the house increases in value such that it will fund two houses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure