PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Transfer of title deeds to a sibling. Help!

Options
This is a bit of an odd situation I'm in and I've looked on the previous postings by they all relate to someone who's died or couples who are either removing a partner from the deeds (very sad) or adding someone (very romantic).

I own a house with my sister (in that we paid half each) but it is registered in my name. I'd imagine it is worth about £90,0000-£100,000. My sister has another property which is under her name, which belongs entirely to her.

If I wanted to transfer the name on the title deeds to her, what would I need to do? How much would it cost? and what might be the implications in terms of capital gains tax etc...

Any help at all would be gratefully received as it seems unclear what I should do.

Many thanks,

the stoat

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to ask a conveyancing solicitor for a quote! What capital gains tax you pay is an unanswerable question as you have given us no information to work with - loads of information on the inland revenue website, or they are very helpful when contacted by telephone. Note that if you are doing this in order to 'get rid' of your assets this may be viewed as 'deprivation of capital' depending on the circumstances, sorry but I cannot think why you would give half a house to someone who already has one and a half houses.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tell us alittle about the situation

do you live in the house
    did you ever live there
    does she live there
    did she ever live there

is there a mortgage on the property?

how much was the house when you bought it
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why are you transferring your asset to her, I'm not being nosy
    but if you ever want to claim any sort of state benefit it could come
    back and bite you both in the bum, ie deprivation of capital.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your sister would have a home she lives in, exempt from CGT, and a 2nd home on which she would have to pay CGT.

Transferring to her name, though, is pretty straight forward. Speak to the Land Registry, get the forms, do it yourself.

As to why you're doing this, I echo the questions/concerns/warnings of others.
  • the_stoat
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses so far, sorry I haven't been able to reply sooner virgin digital have let me down again!

So, the reason I would want to move the property to my sisters name is that I live in London and trying to get on the housing ladder there. This is proving very difficult as I work in a not particularly well paid job in the public sector. My only option is through a shared ownership scheme, however the snag is that if my name is on the title deeds of another property I am ineligible for the scheme.

My sister has lived in property up until about a year ago, I have never lived in the property. The property has been rented out for the last year. There is no mortgage on the property, it was bought for £70,000 and we spent about £10,000 renovating it. I should say, we have tried to sell it but have never been able to shift it, even when it was on for 18 months.

Not sure if that makes it any clearer. Any further advice suggestions would be really helpful.
  • McKneff
    Options
    So is your plan to for your sister to actually buy your half.
  • the_stoat
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    So is your plan to for your sister to actually buy your half.

No.
    I wish she could but she doesn't have the finances.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,077 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It would cost a couple of hundred pounds for a solicitor to do the work.

You would have a capital gains tax liability, depending on the gain in value since you bought it.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • McKneff
    Options
    the_stoat wrote: »
    No.
    I wish she could but she doesn't have the finances.

so if you are being so generous why doesnt she do the same, give her half of the house to you so you can sell it and get on the property ladder.

That way you would have a house each instead of her having 2 and you having none.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    becuase you have never lived there, and assuming that it has gained in value above the 70,000 you paid for it, when you transfer it to your sister this is classed as a "connected person"
    Therefore CGT liability will become immediately due based on the full market value of the house at date of transfer - irrespective of the fact you are giving it away to her for nothing.
    You will therefore have to pay CGT now - if any is due.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure