'Is Facebook a virtual tattoo?' blog discussion

edited 15 February 2010 at 6:01PM in Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News
42 replies 5K views

Replies

• AnyAny Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    All this media miss informed attention is probably trying to make Facebook and other sites into "tattoo".

The older generation seems to think that everyone can see what you are writting and posting up - what a load of tosh!!!!!! It's complete and utter rubbish and all this is coming from media and posts like Martin's.

There are privacy settings etc. If you are so thick as to show your profile to EVERYONE in the whole world, then you deserve to be found out one day.

As for this from Beaujolais - thanks to your Facebook, personal blog, whatever, there will always be people who remember and can remind you of a moment of drunken stupidity, fiscal recklessness, an enraged indiscretion, a bad decision made in panic, a disastrous infatuation, needy whining, or the rantings of grief or transient mental illness.

Dear Beaujolais - believe you me, there will be people to remember these things about me even without FB. Because I have friends. The only other option would be to get the memory knocked out of them or stay at home all my life worried that people are watching my every move just waiting to use it against me!!

All these things make me and as I have some friends around me I hope these people will remember me and my mistakes!!

These are the same people that are my friends on Facebook and challenge you to find me on FB and tell me what I wrote on my profile yesterday, because I seriously doubt you will be able to find out!!
  • Any
    The older generation seems to think that everyone can see what you are writting and posting up - what a load of tosh!!!!!! It's complete and utter rubbish and all this is coming from media and posts like Martin's.

There are privacy settings etc. If you are so thick as to show your profile to EVERYONE in the whole world, then you deserve to be found out one day.
    You would probably place me in the older generation, but I work in the relevant field. Facebook in particular has a (not very) long and not exactly distinguished reputation for repeatedly opening up the privacy restrictions on its accounts. There are numerous reports from the computer security unit at Cambridge University (The same people that have demonstrated a way that you can make a chip & PIN machine accept any PIN at all) on how each change to the Facebook privacy rules opens up still more of your life to public scrutiny.

You also imply that everyone knows how to set up their account. This is patently not true. YOU may have found the privacy settings and may even know what they mean, but most people just accept the defaults. The Facebook business model requires that everyone has the smallest amount of private data possible. They want everyone to be found easily in their database, after all that is the sole reason for Facebook's existence.
    vangirl
    The internet doesnt store data indefinately, unless you keep it going. It gets deleted.
    Unfortunately this is not true. There have been many, many cases where people have been caught out by e-mails/blog entries/texts that they wish had just self destructed. If you talk to someone then once the words are spoken they self destruct in milliseconds. Every e-mail that you have ever sent is on a server somewhere. The only security that you have is that your e-mail is hidden behind all of the others. A small needle in a very large haystack but "Google is your friend".
  • DreamnineDreamnine Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The point of social-networking sites completely eludes me.. as does television and radio.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
  • AnyAny Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    SacreVert wrote: »
    You would probably place me in the older generation, but I work in the relevant field. Facebook in particular has a (not very) long and not exactly distinguished reputation for repeatedly opening up the privacy restrictions on its accounts. There are numerous reports from the computer security unit at Cambridge University (The same people that have demonstrated a way that you can make a chip & PIN machine accept any PIN at all) on how each change to the Facebook privacy rules opens up still more of your life to public scrutiny.

You also imply that everyone knows how to set up their account. This is patently not true. YOU may have found the privacy settings and may even know what they mean, but most people just accept the defaults. The Facebook business model requires that everyone has the smallest amount of private data possible. They want everyone to be found easily in their database, after all that is the sole reason for Facebook's existence.

Unfortunately this is not true. There have been many, many cases where people have been caught out by e-mails/blog entries/texts that they wish had just self destructed. If you talk to someone then once the words are spoken they self destruct in milliseconds. Every e-mail that you have ever sent is on a server somewhere. The only security that you have is that your e-mail is hidden behind all of the others. A small needle in a very large haystack but "Google is your friend".

No actually, I am not implying anything of what you said.

What I am saying is that people cannot see what they want whenever they want about you as media seems to suggest.

I know very well that not everyone knows how to set up settings etc, I support internet education and warnings about everything.

But there is big difference between educating on issues and miss informing about issues.
  • People can only make judgements about a tattoo when they can actually see the tattoo. So, if you place your large in-your-face tattoo in a very obvious place, then people will take notice and may or may not comment depending on their views about tattoos. You're stuck with it and have to be big enough to live with what you've done.

If your tattoo is in a place where only family and close friends know about it, then you can protect yourself somewhat from judgement of others.

Facebook can be thought of as a virtual tattoo, people put details of their lives, photos, videos out there. However, assuming one has set the privacy settings correctly, then no matter how loud or large you are, it is still more like the smaller tattoo placed in a private place that only a few know about and can see.

As far as prospective employers go and others trying to find you on FB, there are so many people with the same name on Facebook that it is incredibly difficult to find the right person. If you keep up-to-date with the ever changing FB privacy settings then they haven't got a hope in hell of seeing your tattoo, big or small :)

In the future there will be so much information on Facebook and other networking sites that there will be too much information and we wont be able to find it anyway. Your old tattoo will be dead and buried.

Jules x
  • Sweeping assumption :-
    JissyJules
    As far as prospective employers go and others trying to find you on FB, there are so many people with the same name on Facebook that it is incredibly difficult to find the right person.
    My real name is not unique, but I have only found one other person with the same name/surname combination anywhere in the world. My name is English and you would not think it unusual if you were to see it.
  • SacreVert wrote: »
    Sweeping assumption :-
    My real name is not unique, but I have only found one other person with the same name/surname combination anywhere in the world. My name is English and you would not think it unusual if you were to see it.

Then, hopefully you have your privacy settings set so others can only see what you want them to see.
  • JoeA81JoeA81 Forumite
    266 Posts
    Interesting point this.

Last year I deleted a couple of websites I created in the early 2000s in my student days with some embarassing photos on them, job done I thought.

Then I visited the Wayback machine at the internet archive which aims to archive EVERY page on the web that has ever existed. I typed in my old site name and sure enough it was there, archived!

I've managed to get rid of it from the archive now, but if you visit the wayback machine you might be suprised at the information it has stored!

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php
    Don't pay off your student loan quicker than you have to.
  • JissyJules wrote: »
    Then, hopefully you have your privacy settings set so others can only see what you want them to see.
    My privacy settings are infinite - No facebook account.:D
  • wildthing01wildthing01 Forumite
    328 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    the thing that was most worrying to me when i (briefly) had a facebook account was not my privacy settings, which were set at maximum, but the fact that friends were tagging me in their photos, so that my name was appearing on their pages, and they did not necessarily have the same level of privacy in place as me. there were no embarrassing photos, it was just that i didn't want my identity known to all and sundry, especially given my job. so i closed my account down. i realise i probably sound paranoid, but you just never know...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid pass scam robbed grandfather of £25k

He got his money back after MSE intervened

MSE News

20,000 FREE Ideal Home Show tickets

For London, Fri 11 Mar to Sun 27 Mar

MSE Deals