PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Please help re flat deposit

Options

Comments

• EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Gerryh, I have heard that 192.com doesn't have very up to date info - someone has offered to help me here on MSE which hopefully will dredge the landlady out of the woodwork.

Any other detectives are most welcome - just PM me :T
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • irnbru_2
    irnbru_2 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Options
    Hi irnbru - it's AIDA district council in Shoreham - the lady was very understanding but still a dead end for us.

Can't find it. Is it Adur?

Anyways, the post by musey indicates you have the right to this information. You just need to identify which person to complain to in your local council about their refusal to give it. Your CAB should help.

If you're taking time off you need to account for all your costs as you can seek to have these reimbursed (against the LA if not the LL).

Can you confirm if you gone through the land registry?
  • gerryh_2
    gerryh_2 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. If 192 provided no info, you could look in electoral register, Adur Council or Library, have paper records that are open to public scrutiny. Was the rented propert on Shoreham Beach, or in town. I have several flats that I rent @ EQ & may know of your WW. ps what is PM ?
  • saver_sam
    saver_sam Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    EagerLearner your mail box is full and i might have an answer an address for your l/l. make some space please!
  • irnbru_2
    Options
    gerryh wrote:
    what is PM ?

PM = Private Message.
  • EagerLearner
    Options
    irnbru wrote:
    Can't find it. Is it Adur?

Anyways, the post by musey indicates you have the right to this information. You just need to identify which person to complain to in your local council about their refusal to give it. Your CAB should help.

If you're taking time off you need to account for all your costs as you can seek to have these reimbursed (against the LA if not the LL).

Can you confirm if you gone through the land registry?

Hi - it may be Adur - the number I called was 01273 263111 for council tax dept. However they stated the could not give the address. I may call again and ask for fax number to send written request.

I have searched land registry and obtained her name for the ground floor property of the building, which she owns the lease for. No address shown, could not find our (top) flat or the 2nd flat on registry, only the ground floor one. At least we have the correct name now.
    MFW #185
  • EagerLearner
    Options
    gerryh wrote:
    Hi. If 192 provided no info, you could look in electoral register, Adur Council or Library, have paper records that are open to public scrutiny. Was the rented propert on Shoreham Beach, or in town. I have several flats that I rent @ EQ & may know of your WW. ps what is PM ?

Have sent you a PM gerryh ;)
    MFW #185
  • EagerLearner
    Options
    saver_sam wrote:
    EagerLearner your mail box is full and i might have an answer an address for your l/l. make some space please!

Thanks for your PM Sam - as discussed, it's sadly not the one but with her home number being a 01444 code it's bound to be Burgess Hill or Haywards Heath so at least that's one step closer.

Many thanks for everyone's support to date :beer: - we'll get her somehow!
    MFW #185
  • EagerLearner
    Options
    Hi all,

Just an update to say I'm getting so many warm and fuzzy feelings from all the help on here - the support has been superb - from offers of debt collection, to searching records and even making calls - thanks so much :beer:

Today is our first day of real action against this woman - we're sending the first of 3 Special Delivery letters, each allowing 7 days before the next letter.

We have the court forms and if going to court, will serve notice on the c/o address as yesterday the Letting Agent have confirmed this is the address she gave them for serving notices and is also the address she currently receives statements at for the other properties they manage for her. It was the Director of the LA that called me, so clearly me cc'ing ARLA with e-mails got some fire under their bum.

We expect an angry call from the landlady - any advice on how to handle that... :o

She can be really patronising and blows hot & cold so we want to be careful.

PS if going to court should we mention:

- She increased our rent twice within Nov 05 - Feb 06;
    - Agreed we could stay on IF WE PAID AN EXTRA £60 PER MONTH when our flat purchase fell through in May 06 - we were cornered so agreed - and then she canceled within 30 mins of us attending the LA to sign contract;
    - She decided to rennovate the bathroom whilst we were still in the flat rather than waiting until we had left (during our last month) - took 2.5 weeks and made a mess - never reduced rent or apologised - then did not install shower, mirror or cabinets so we would not get the benefit in our last week.
    - Then has the gall to charge us for paint scuffs and cleaning, prob caused by her completely gutting the bathroom
    - She measured up for carpets 3 weeks before we moved out, without even being able to see complete carpet as all our stuff was there, showing she intended to replace it all.
    - In our last month she asked our advice on 'what young people like' in order to modernise and refurbish the flat. Asked us to pick items from a catalogue that we would like and makre recommendations.

Hot & cold as you see - now we just wait for the call...

Thanks ;)
    MFW #185
  • irnbru_2
    Options
    We expect an angry call from the landlady - any advice on how to handle that... :o

"Thank you for calling ... all our lines are busy" :)

Only accept written correspondence.
    - Then has the gall to charge us for paint scuffs and cleaning, prob caused by her completely gutting the bathroom
    - She measured up for carpets 3 weeks before we moved out, without even being able to see complete carpet as all our stuff was there, showing she intended to replace it all.

These are pertinent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport