PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What can a cellar be used for in the 21st Century?

Options
I'm looking to move at some point and my price range includes two bed houses from all periods. I'm open minded, as the location and the plot are the most important thing to me.

I've found a few period terraces with cellars which intrigue me. I admit to having a childish, Scooby Doo fear of these things, but I know I need to put that to one side. The adult part of me likes the idea of a home with what is essentially another room.

However, realistically, what could I use a cellar for? I suppose in the 1980's some owners may have percieved them as nuclear shelters. You could also have people who store vintage wines perhaps.

I don't have a clue what I could do with one. Would they tend to be musty, damp and pretty hopeless for storage? Please understand that I won't do any veiwings until my present home is under offer. Therefore, my research has been limited to the estate agents web sites. Also, I don't want the vendors opinion, I want yours!

Any constructive comments or experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 February 2010 at 12:11AM
    Options
    Especially in London, it common for cellars to be converted to rooms. You need outside space to be able to dig down to create an escape route though - would normally involve a weird basement patio area, with a ladder.

My own experience of this was when our good friends sold to rent and moved to a beautiful, newly converted flat where the bedrooms were downstairs. The first time I visted I smelled damp. The second time you could see it. Then the floors started leaking and their beautiful clothes started moulding. The mattresses moulded.

So they decided to buy again. And we viewed another newly converted flat with a basement master bedroom. There was mould growing and the sewers had actually backed up into the downstairs sink and shower!

My advice: consider a loft conversion over a cellar conversion!

Tanking a cellar is evidently a difficult thing to do. If it is to be done then it needs to be completely waterproofed and I would expect some considerable expense in guaranteeing that. Even regular cellars can flood with the changing water tables - that is perfectly normal so you can imagine how difficult it is to tank one out.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • CloudCuckooLand
    Options
    They can be 'tanked', to be made 'dry'. Which might not be cheap. Home Cinema room, should be pretty soundproof, depending on the flooring above it.

http://www.cellars.co.uk/
    http://www.cellars.co.uk/cellar-conversion.php
    http://www.cellars.co.uk/cellar-case-study.php
    Act in haste, repent at leisure.

dunstonh wrote:
    Its a serious financial transaction and one of the biggest things you will ever buy. So, stop treating it like buying an ipod.
  • Running_Horse
    Options
    Play room? Gym? Storage? I have seen dry ones used as bedrooms in large families, as kids will put up with a lot for privacy.
    Been away for a while.
  • Tony_R
    Tony_R Posts: 280 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I'm in the process of buying a house with a cellar/basement.

Our original requirments were for a 3 bedroom semi detached house, with the smallest room being on the detatched side so that we could use it as a drum/music room as not too annoy the neighbours.

The house we finally put an offer in met this requirement to a T, along with a garage which wasn't a necessity.

The advert on rightmove had no mention of a basement, but open being shown around it was revealed. This then gave us the idea of in the long term converting the basement so the drums could be kept down there out of the way. For our second viewing we took along my sisters husband who is a builder to see if it is possible to covert, which it is.

The surveyor is also arranged to go and view the property on Wednesday, where he will give us further advice on the basement. For us, having this will open up a lot more space in the house. :)
    MFW 2015 - #88 £3,345 / £3,500
    MFW 2014 £2,990,MFW 2013 £7,905, MFW 2012 £12,216
    Opening Mortgage Balance (15th July 2010): £200,999
    Current Mortgage Balance(2nd July 2015): £150,999
    Total overpayments to date: £30,292.00
    Updated 19/05/2015
  • blue_haddock
    blue_haddock Posts: 12,110 Forumite
    Options
    Bondage den?
  • Cissi
    Cissi Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    Options
    I started my home business (internet based) using our cellar as storage. Worked brilliantly; we were only a few blocks away from the Thames and had no problems. Once it got too big I took on external storage, but I couldn't have done it without our cellar initially (and then the dining room and the hall... at which point DH put his foot down)!
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    billiards room ?

office/ study ?

gym ?

music room ?

teenagers den ?

dad's den ?

sewing room ?

train set room ?

the world is your oyster.... let your imagination run riot .....

art studio

pottery
  • London_Town
    Options
    Thanks for the comments so far. Doozergirl, you've expressed my deepest fears about the damp issue. Since becoming a home owner, it shocked me how damp a garage can become, let alone a cellar!

Cissi - what did you store in yours then? I take it your business had stock that would have withstood damp if there had been a problem?

The tanking idea is attractive, but way out of my price range, It's looking like you only have a feel for the state of an individual cellar, when you actually view.

Still concerned about potential damp though. Bum. I thought my biggest problem was going to be possible ghosts!
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    tanking is perfectly possible... depends on your budget and what you want to use the room for.. but i would not want to do any of the ideas and suggestions in a damp environment......
  • tabskitten
    tabskitten Posts: 1,329 Forumite
    Options
    i would love one for wine storage!!
    :silenced:
    I think tabskitten is a crying, walking, sleeping, talking, living troll :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure