Bill Dispute in late 08 early 09 - Npower

Options
Joonyer
Joonyer Posts: 45 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 10 February 2010 at 7:27PM in Energy
Hi all

I'll try to keep this to the point - in March 2009 we moved out of our rented 1 bedroom flat.

We had the last electricity bills around November, then a final one in February. The November one was for 3 months, and came to about £480. The last one was for 30 days and came to £180. The readings were actuals not estimated.

We both work full time and rarely used the heating there (which was electric) - I'm careful with turning things off when not in use and it was a tiny flat with only 3 rooms including the bathroom.

I tried to argue this as totally impossible at the time but their approach was "The meter doesn't lie, pay us". This was our first time living without parents or at uni so I had no idea whether or not I had any rights, so we paid fearing CCJs and Bailiffs.

Since then we've lived in a big 2 bedroom mid terrace, victorian style - very high ceilings etc. The energy bills have come out much cheaper - about £250 for 9 months. This confirms my fears about the flat.

My question is this - would npower have to keep billing history on file for a set number of years in line with the data protection act?

If so, do you think I could take this further even this late on? I've heard about the ombudsman and the CAB but have never used either and don't know how to be honest.

Do I have any options here? Is it worth arguing or shall I just cut my losses and never use them again?

All advice welcomed and appreciated

Kind regards
Matt

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Joonyer wrote: »
    ... "The meter doesn't lie, pay us". ...

In essence, that is the basic argument. Your only option is to prove the meter faulty, which as you no longer live there may be easier said than done.

nPower will still have your account details, albeit now closed, on record.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you got gas heating now? Gas is about a third of the price of electricity.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Joonyer
    Joonyer Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Have you got gas heating now? Gas is about a third of the price of electricity.

Yeah we have gas heating now - moving house again at the end of the month and the new place has a brand new gas fired system too. Much more reasonable.

I've spoken to the guy that moved into our flat so I could knock on for him and ask if I could see the meter or something. Actually, I'll ask who he's with and how the rates have been sofar.

Annoying tho!

Thanks for the advice

Matt
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

We both work full time and rarely used the heating there (which was electric) - I'm careful with turning things off when not in use and it was a tiny flat with only 3 rooms including the bathroom.

Since then we've lived in a big 2 bedroom mid terrace, victorian style - very high ceilings etc. The energy bills have come out much cheaper - about £250 for 9 months. This confirms my fears about the flat.

My question is this - would npower have to keep billing history on file for a set number of years in line with the data protection act?
    Yeah we have gas heating now - moving house again at the end of the month and the new place has a brand new gas fired system too. Much more reasonable.

Matt

The difference in bill size doesn't confirm anything, you are comparing apples with oranges! Bet you aren't even with the same supplier nor on the same tariff? What was your usage in KWH in the flat?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport