Cancelled repayment cover?

Options
Hi all,

I have this morning cancelled my repayment cover on my halifax cc owe over £4k so was paying out over £30 per month just for this, and I don't work so there is no point in paying out extra, however the strange thing is I have never worked since having this card and its not something I would have applied for so am presuming (am going to dig all my statements out tonight) that I have been paying this for over 3years though obviously not at £30 per month the whole time as i've not owed that much until recently.
Is there anyway I would be able to claim any of those payments back? Or is it just gone now?

Thanks

Sunshine78
I was ere, ere I was
Was I ere, yes I was :D

:rotfl::rotfl: :rotfl:

Decided to join you all again, I was last here regularly in 2007 :eek:

Comments

• regularsaver1
    regularsaver1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Options
    in order to be eligible for the repayments cover you have to work and have to pay the correct class of national insurance contributions

if you have not i'd write a letter explaining about mis-selling
  • Sunshine78
    Sunshine78 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    This may sound a stupid question but has anyone got any tips for what to put in a letter like this re: Mis-selling etc?

(I was not working in all the time I was paying the cover)

Sorry for asking, just don't want to get it wrong!!

Thanks

Sunshine78
    I was ere, ere I was

• Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    Options
    Do you think it actually was miss-sold... were you not working when you applied for the card? If you werent what was the source of income that you declared to be able to afford repayments?

The cover will also have included sickness and death cover (depending on why you havent been working)

At the moment a lot of banks are only giving a partial refund (for the parts you wouldnt have been covered for) even if it was miss-sold. The rest is for the protection you enjoyed even if you did not have a need to claim.
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • poppy_f1
    poppy_f1 Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    i'd write stating at the time of taking out the card you werent working and the cover was added which you would be inelibigle for anyway and you would like all payments made for the cover refunded
  • Sunshine78
    Sunshine78 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I do think I was mis-sold, I wasn't working at the time of application, me and my ex-husband were applying for a halifax mortgage at the time and were told that our application stood a better chance if we had some sort of account with them!! so we were both issued with seperate cc accounts off his wages, no income from myself at all.
    I was ere, ere I was

• bert&ernie
    bert&ernie Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Options
    Cards can often be issued to a "houseperson" with the credit line calculated on a proportion of the spouses income. The spouses bureau data would be returned as a 1st person associate and used in the credit score anyway. The theory being that although you have no no employment income of your own, you are able to rely on the "family" income to repay the debt.

The PPI may well have been missold as you are not eligible for the employment cover for obvious reasons. This is a big issue in the industry at the moment and all the banks are looking to tighten their procedures for selling these products. I think you should write to them explaining that you believe you were miss-sold the product - in all likelihood, they will refund all or part of your premiums.

Its likely to increase your chance of getting mortgage (or any credit product) if you have open and well run accounts with the same lender. However, I fail to see how applying for a card at the same time as the mortgage app would help - me thinks you were being told porkies to get the cross sale. Don't think you'll have much luck getting recompense for that though.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
  • regularsaver1
    regularsaver1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Options
    to even get the repayment cover in the first place you have to be paying correct class of national insurance contributions - if not then wouldn't be eligible for even life ect either

the only one who could have ppi then was your husband
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport