Scottish power; disgrace!

Options
I am foaming on behalf of my Mother, who on switching to a cheaper deal with E-ON, from Scottish Power, was then visited by a cold caller who seemed very plausible, explaining that the E-ON deal was misleading.......he said the Rates were cheaper with them and could keep us with Scottish power. When my mother said that there would be a penalty charge, he adamantly siad there would not. I said she should have stuck with her choice of E-ON, but he pursuaded otherwise.....so then a few weeks later, E-ON ring to say he was talking rubbish and the Deal with them is in fact the best. They also said that a Penalty would be charged!
..........Since then Scottish power representatives have called (thrice) saying that their deal would be cheaper + also that if we change back to E-ON there will be 2 penalties for both the GAS + Electric!! My mother was foaming and annoyed with herself that she even let this guy in to give his jargon/speel............so I will be informing everyone I know about this Scottish POWER disgrace and thought I'd start on here.
(We are still dubious as to whether we will get the Credit which we had originally, as its been passed back and forth 3 times now in as many weeks.
Lesson learnt; Stick to YOUR DECISION, ; DON'T BE INFLUENCED BY SO-CALLED EXPERTS WHO TURN UP OUT OF THE BLUE AT THE DOOR.
Aaaaaaagh! Rant over.

Comments

• markharding557
    Options
    moral of the story DON'T TALK TO DOOR STEP CONMEN!:eek:
    hope your mum gets things sorted.
  • nemoo
    nemoo Posts: 57 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    ditto as above.....

You'll also find that its normally down to the morally corrupt door-to-door sales lot who ultimately end up dragging the supplier through the mud. Wonder when the supplier will wake up to this fact - I suppose the price they pay in the form disgruntled customers is much less than the trade these cowboys bring in for them :mad:
  • RossT
    Options
    I actually appeared in the middle of his 'speel' and my Mam asked me what I thought; I said ''stick to what you've decided after the research showed E-ON are cheaper''....he then came out with all these terms and Rates, saying E-ON didn't know the actual Rate of Tarrif or something and that Money-Expert doesn't reveal all the details......he basically stood there until finally my Mam agreed to staying with them and he took down the details again.....(which I questioned, as surely they would already have them???) ......
    It was a very awkward situation and it didn't help, as we are a Childminding household, and Kids needed looking after, rather than wasting more time discussing crap with the SP guy. My Dad said he would have shown him the door if he'd been present, seeing as we never asked him to appear, but my Mam just believed what he said and had more important things to deal with (Nappies, feeding, School-run, etc....)
    I now aim to put as many people off as I can, although this will not make up for the 80.00+ penalty charges and the distress it is causing.
    (SP gave us an Ombudsman Number to ring; is it worth it?)
  • nemoo
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    without a doubt..... do ring them!

Was it your mums name on the account? if not, legally they have no right transfer and you can challenge(any other legally inclined minds should be able to offer some advice on this!!).

good luck
  • RossT
    RossT Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 9 February 2010 at 3:41PM
    Options
    Yeah, it's in her name.......+ I've just been told that both E-ON and Scottish Power have took payments off for last month!....This is exactly the situation that I feared when we decided to end the contract with Bleedin' Scottish Power........I googled 'Scam' and 'Scottish Power' after the Bloke left and it came up with 23,000 results. :mad: (EDIT; 37,700)
  • RossT
    Options
    After a lengthy conversation with E-ON it has now been established that SP never gave them the Final reading when we requested......i guess they make it as difficult as possible to leave them once you are in their grasp! (it was the same riggmarole with Tiscali's Broadband package)
  • Dave_save
    Dave_save Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    RossT wrote: »
    After a lengthy conversation with E-ON it has now been established that SP never gave them the Final reading when we requested.....

In switch overs, it's the new supplier who gives the final reading to your old supplier. So you should have provided that to EON when they requested it, and they should give it to SP who finalise your account. Usually during a switch, there is no need to contact your old supplier. The new supplier should do this on your behalf.
  • Mrs_Thrify
    Mrs_Thrify Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gosh, that is sad and a lesson learnt to not pay anything out to cold callers - tell them it is rented!
    If winter comes, can spring be far behind?
    Spring begins on 21st March.
  • nemoo
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Dave_save wrote: »
    In switch overs, it's the new supplier who gives the final reading to your old supplier. So you should have provided that to EON when they requested it, and they should give it to SP who finalise your account. Usually during a switch, there is no need to contact your old supplier. The new supplier should do this on your behalf.

In reality, I found that suppliers both new/old tend to point the finger at each other and say that it is the other party where the responsibility lies (with regards to final meter reading).

Even my trusted SE was no exception to this!
  • Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    A loaded water pistol by the front door works wonders.
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure