PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

sealed Bid

Options
I am interested in purchasing a house in my area and as there is alot of interest it is going to sealed bids.
Can anyone tell me if a sealed bid is legally binding.
I only viewed the property today and the bids have to be in by Monday so I won't have time for a survey etc so I am concerned that if I make an offer which is accepted and then find there is a problem with the property I will be in trouble

I have been told by a friend that you should write "subject to contract and without prejudice" at the top of the letter.
Has anyone had any experience of sealed bids.

Thanks

Comments

• alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    In england nothing is legally binding until you exchange contracts, scottish law is different.

your friend is correct, uses those phrases in any communication, its standard legalise and provides you with get out options.
  • dippy
    dippy Posts: 290 Forumite
    Options
    As long as you haven't exchanged contracts which is the last stage in the sale process nor have you signed any agreements, anything goes in England. At the last moment, you can ask to bring the price down, stop the whole process, etc. Even though you've already spent time and money on the sollicitors, surveys, etc.

A seller tried to shaft one of my mates. In a falling market, the seller tried to ask for a 1% increase on the agreed price prior to exchanging contracts (after 4 months of proceedings). Another party did the right thing and he didn't have to fork out the extra money in the end.
  • rigram
    rigram Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Very much apreciated
  • Debsie
    Debsie Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I think these are used when the agents are either having difficulty feeling the price level or are fed up with applicants coming back with a little bit extra. It can also be a ploy to establish best price for a vendors personal motives (eg divorce settlements) when the vendor is not actually going to sell.

You can get formal tenders which form a contract (similar to a bid at auction)but these are usually used for commercial property. If it is one of these it will be run by a solicitor and you will have signed a contact when you make the bid.

Writing your best price & terms will not bind you in normal circumstances in England if you use the caveats advised in earlier posts.
    Charles J
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family