MSE News: How your iPhone can become a Tesco Clubcard

Options
Former_MSE_Guy
Former_MSE_Guy Posts: 1,650 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 8 February 2010 at 6:04PM in Food shopping & groceries
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Clubcard holders can download an application which acts as a substitute to taking your loyalty card to the store ..."
OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• dorry_2
    dorry_2 Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    Options
    great idea, thank u :j
    'If you judge people, you have no time to love them'
    Mother Teresa :D
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Surely you've been able to do this for a long time, just by storing the image of a barcode in your phone's memory?

Think of the delays at the checkout as you have to wait for people to get their iphone's out and then find the app.
  • wizk1
    wizk1 Posts: 911 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    Surely you've been able to do this for a long time, just by storing the image of a barcode in your phone's memory?

Think of the delays at the checkout as you have to wait for people to get their iphone's out and then find the app.
    I've read about this before, and apparently, it's very temperamental. The concept itself is very clever, but the technical limitations of the screen (I.e. pixel size and reflectivity) make this harder to implement than one would think.
  • Swans1912
    Swans1912 Posts: 1,658 Forumite
    Options
    I think I would be a bit unsure of handing over my iPhone, would be little embarrassed if it didn't actually work. The key fobs are nice and easy so unlikely I would use it much BUT i'm sure it will be handy at some point in the future.
  • NJD001
    Options
    Why oh why would anyone want to do this. Maybe it is just me but it seems like technology for the sake of technology.
    I have a tiny piece of plastic on my keys to scan at the checkout. Is this somehow insufficient?
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    my bit of plastic on my keys broke this app will be fab - i love my iphone:)

every little helps-theres an app for that

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • 2791trauts
    Options
    I have an android phone, wonder if they will do a similar widget for that soon.
  • Storck
    Storck Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just can not see why anyone would want to hand over their expensive phone to someone of the checkout. What if they drop it? I can imagine Tesco saying it is unlucky.
    If you find you are drinking too much give this number a call. 0845 769 7555
  • singhy
    singhy Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    It's actually designed for tills which face the customer only (at least for now), according the application instructions. So it specifically recommends not handing over your phone to the till operator anyway!

(Alas for someone like me, who visits Tesco Express, it isn't useful at the moment)
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    singhy wrote: »
    It's actually designed for tills which face the customer only (at least for now), according the application instructions. So it specifically recommends not handing over your phone to the till operator anyway!

(Alas for someone like me, who visits Tesco Express, it isn't useful at the moment)
    At some of my local Tesco stores, they've actually installed a barcode scanner where the customer can scan their own clubcard. This scanner is near the new position for the receipt printer. Unfortunately, it never seems to work when I try to scan my own clubcard :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure