New Post Advanced Search

Best quality kitchen poll

14 replies 86.4K views
MrsH78MrsH78 Forumite
36 posts
So sorry to do this but I have read nearly every thread on kitchen quality and am still pretty much non the wiser so I thought I'd try a poll.
We want something good quality but not ridiculously priced (like Moben).
Our kitchen is 284cm by 184.7cm (to be precise).
So far been quoted £2400 (not inc fitting) with Candy appliances (Magnet trade)
£4000 (not inc fitting) with Neff appliances (Jewsons)
£9000 (inc fitting) with Neff appliances (Moben)
Magnet obviously cheapest but door quality seems a bit crappy.

Also any opinion on best make of appliances greatly appreciated.

Best quality kitchen in relation to price 27 votes

Magnet
3% 1 vote
Moben
3% 1 vote
Homebase
0% 0 votes
Ikea
25% 7 votes
Jewsons
3% 1 vote
Howdens
14% 4 votes
Wickes
18% 5 votes
Independents (generally)
29% 8 votes

Replies

• madget_2madget_2 Forumite
    668 posts
    I've been looking since early January and have now chosen a Wentworth kitchen (carcasses made by Mereway, who also supply John Lewis). The units seem to be particuarly robust and well-made, with attention to detail.

Otherwise, my dad and stepmum had a Wickes kitchen installed 10 years ago and it still looks as good as new. Having said that, I took a look in Wickes and the quality now doesn't seem as good as it used to be 10 years ago.

I thought that the Homebase kitchens were dreadful.

Both Howdens and Ikea seem very popular on here. Some of our neighbours had an Ikea kitchen fitted, but with solid granite worktops and it looks absolutely stunning. So I think you can pep up a cheaper kitchen with some special features if you like.

Try asking family, friends, neighbours, workmates, anybody you know for recommendations on local independent kitchen companies. Some of them are excellent and well-priced.

I've had Bosch appliances in the past and have been mostly happy with them - apart from my gas hob. Neff are the next step up and seem to have a good reputation. I've chosen Siemens appliances as they have some really excellent features that I'd find useful, a great reputation and look good, too.

For my fridge-freezer, though, I had trouble finding the right size (about 180cm-ish) with plenty of capacity. In the end, I found the perfect sized one from Liebherr, who seem to be a good manufacturer. Because my fridge-freezer will have a unit built around it, I saved money by opting for one with silver-coloured sides and a brushed stainless steel door. It's at a bargain price on the Bunny Appliances site at the moment.

I used to love my old Hotpoint fridge-freezer and my neighbours have a fab AEG one they love, but both of those companies seem to have gone down in quality very badly recently.

Good luck with your hunt. I know how difficult all these decisions can be, and I've received some excellent help and advice on this board.
  • MrsH78MrsH78 Forumite
    36 posts
    Thank you for that. :beer:Won't give up till we're happy with everything. Been to Wickes today, waiting for a price!
  • AstecAstec Forumite
    515 posts
    Ouch! My kitchen is 2.4 x 2 m, looking at £500 excl appliances from Howdens!
  • GT60GT60 Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ikea for price quoted like for like on a 8ish mtr run, b&q = £4000 and ikea was £2500.
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
  • sheslookinhotsheslookinhot Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    MadgeT wrote: »
    I've had Bosch appliances in the past and have been mostly happy with them - apart from my gas hob. Neff are the next step up and seem to have a good reputation. I've chosen Siemens appliances as they have some really excellent features that I'd find useful, a great reputation and look good, too.

Bosch and Neff are one and the same.
    Mortgage Free
    Planning for Retirement
  • jenniferniljennifernil Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I would say Ikea, we used them for our Guide Hall kitchen and it is standing up well to the abuse! We used Bosch appliances, they are doing well too.

Personally, I would go for a better sink, we have had a Franke one at home for 22 years and it is still in good shape.
  • edited 8 February 2010 at 12:21PM
    madget_2madget_2 Forumite
    668 posts
    edited 8 February 2010 at 12:21PM
    Bosch and Neff are one and the same.

I know that Bosch, Neff and Siemens are all the same company and that the general layout of the appliances tends to be very similar indeed, but I've been told that the Neff was a "step up" (not sure whether that refers to quality or features) from Bosch. Mind you, that info came from salespeople. Were they telling me porkies?

Edited to add: Just done a little Googling and most people do seem to agree with you about Bosch and Neff. Perhaps the build quality is slightly better, though? Or maybe it just is a straight badge switch job. Wouldn't surprise me these days with companies.
  • Just wondered why b&q wasn't in the poll?

We need a new kitchen as we have just moved house and the one in is falling apart, but cash is very tight.

We went to homebase last sat and they quoted £1800 and thats with 40% off and thats just for about 10 units, no appliances, sink or worktop as we already have these :eek: we were only getting them there because 40% and credit for 12 months.

But seems they are not cheap even with discount, so popped down to b&q and its coming in about £1000 but with more units and extra's and 3 months credit.

Anyone had the IT kitchen range and what do they think....is it ok for a few years until we win the lottery! :D
  • I'm a kitchen fitter, and i rate magnet right up there with the best, but for value i would say b&q, homebase are utter junk, i would not touch them.

Ikea are ok apart from the fact that you have to use everything ikea with them as nothing is standard size. They look very diy, the quality of the end panels etc is way cheaper made than the likes of howdens, magnet etc

Howdens are over rated, but nothing wrong with them.

These are just my views as i've been fitting them for over 20 years.

I have an it kitchen from b&q in my house as it was a price issue, as i would never pay silly money one, as long as its well fitted, and i mean everything from electrics inc lighting, tiling, decoration to the floorcovering, if these are done right it will look sharp.

I know
  • I'm a kitchen fitter, and i rate magnet right up there with the best, but for value i would say b&q, homebase are utter junk, i would not touch them.

Ikea are ok apart from the fact that you have to use everything ikea with them as nothing is standard size. They look very diy, the quality of the end panels etc is way cheaper made than the likes of howdens, magnet etc

Howdens are over rated, but nothing wrong with them.

These are just my views as i've been fitting them for over 20 years.

I have an it kitchen from b&q in my house as it was a price issue, as i would never pay silly money one, as long as its well fitted, and i mean everything from electrics inc lighting, tiling, decoration to the floorcovering, if these are done right it will look sharp.

I know

Thanks for the info, and it was just what i wanted to hear really, we are plumping for the b&q kitchen and like you say buy decent flooring etc...which we will as we will save on the kitchen and it will enhance the look.....we managed to get some real wood worktops on ebay for £80 brand new...:T

But thanks for your advice......magnet will come when we actually have savings :D
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support