Travel insurance for over 65 with health problem?

Options
Hi

hope you can help - my mum and her boyfriend are going to Thailand in April and are struggling to get travel insurance because of their age and health problems
Does anyone know of a company which will deal with this? Would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction
Thanks
sam

Comments

• grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have an M&S premium club card ( which costs £10 a month) and it gives free travel insurance up to age 80. I phoned and asked if they would accept us as we both have health conditions and I paid £9.41 a year extra for my other half.
    We did have health insurance from Saga before this and it was even more expensive but was cheaper that Tesco which was very expensive for us.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If they are under 70 this is worth a look http://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/insurance/Policies.aspx#travel
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We have cover with our HSBC Plus account, including OH's hypertension and diabetes 2.

We have had a good deal from Flexicover in the past; they cover up to 84.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you read the travel insurance article? there's a link to a discussion thread.

the only thing I'd say is that this takes time, and is unlikely to be possible over t'internet without making a few phone calls. Whoever is doing this needs to know the health problems reasonably well, so it may be an idea to have both of them there while this is happening.

For example, DH has a number of 'conditions' which I have to declare, but there are 'supplementary questions' for most of them, eg he has asthma, but has not been hospitalised in the last X years; he has osteoarthritis, but hasn't broken anything (well, not since he was 4, anyway!)
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    Flexicover gives you an instant quote online if you fill in all your medical details.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    "For example, DH has a number of 'conditions' which I have to declare, but there are 'supplementary questions' for most of them, eg he has asthma, but has not been hospitalised in the last X years; he has osteoarthritis, but hasn't broken anything (well, not since he was 4, anyway!"

Do you mean osteoporosis Sue? The quote would be different than one for osteoarthritis.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lilac_lady wrote: »
    "For example, DH has a number of 'conditions' which I have to declare, but there are 'supplementary questions' for most of them, eg he has asthma, but has not been hospitalised in the last X years; he has osteoarthritis, but hasn't broken anything (well, not since he was 4, anyway!"

Do you mean osteoporosis Sue? The quote would be different than one for osteoarthritis.
    I do mean porosis! sorry for any confusion ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • suzyq
    suzyq Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    Try www.orbisinsurance.co.uk tel 01424 220110 they offer excellent insurance for people of all ages with pre existing medical conditions
  • Hithere
    Hithere Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    I got some good advice from MSE people on my thread, might be of help to you as well.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...medical+travel
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport