PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Should we rent our house out or sell ?

Options
Hi all

After a bit of advice and pick your brains !, Long story short we brought a new home 7 months ago a large 4 bed detached we have now decided we would like to downsize a bit as this is jst too big for us

its valued at 230k and our morg is 140k or £670 a month repayment

We could sell but given the current situation houses are not selling around here

or were looking into the poss of renting it and starting with a new morg on a smaller home we could get enough rent to cover the morg and give about 150 a month left over which we could put towards the new morg

or should we stick it out and sell this and put the equity towards the new home reducing our morg to a minimun ?

Also if we do rent all our money is in this house so where would we get the 10% deposit for new home ?

Thankyou in advnace for any help

Comments

• jenny_13
    jenny_13 Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Can I just ask is the property still valued at £230k or is that what you paid?

Renting the house out might seem a good idea but there are lots of issues to consider such as periods when the house is empty and no rent coming, problems with tennants, tax etc.

How much do you intend to spend on the next house? Is it possible you could become almost mortgage free?

Do what's right for you.
  • Bella79
    Bella79 Posts: 1,197 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    230k is what its worth now , if we sold for this we would have about 80k cash to take out, so we wouldnt be morg free on next one
  • jenny_13
    jenny_13 Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    It's upto you but personally I don't think I could be a landlord and I personally want to mortgage free asap.

Have you asked your lender if they'll be willing to let you rent out the property?
  • angelfire
    angelfire Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 February 2010 at 10:50PM
    Options
    Are you sure the property is worth £230k now? Looking at some of your old posts you only bought the property brand new last year - last May you stated it was valued at and you were paying £215k? Has it really gained £15k worth of value in less than a year during the recession?
  • Bella79
    Bella79 Posts: 1,197 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    well thats what 3 estate agents have told us , i know i was a bit shocked too , but we did get it quite cheap at the time
  • Radiantsoul
    Radiantsoul Posts: 2,096 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I would sort of stick it out. You have only lived there seven months...

Will it really be easier to sell than rent. The issue would seem to be that if you can't rent it out then it is going to be costing you £600 plus per month in mortgage payments plus the potential interest on the £70k equity you have.
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    get some lodgers in ... they are legally easy to get out .... and their income is tax free income up to £8K (anyone know the exact amount ?)
  • MissMoneypenny
    Options
    clutton wrote: »
    get some lodgers in ... they are legally easy to get out .... and their income is tax free income up to £8K (anyone know the exact amount ?)

"If you already have a lodger or are thinking about letting furnished rooms in your home, you can receive up to £4,250 a year tax-free (£2,125 if letting jointly). This is known as the Rent a Room scheme."
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/TaxOnPropertyAndRentalIncome/DG_4017804
    RENTING? Have you checked to see that your landlord has permission from their mortgage lender to rent the property? If not, you could be thrown out with very little notice.
    Read the sticky on the House Buying, Renting & Selling board.

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In what way is it too big for you?
    What is it about the house that's making it seem big?
    If you're not using three of the bedrooms, just keep the doors shut and turn the heating right down to frost setting... and go in once a month to check the room's still there.

Are you finding it a pain in the neck to have to go into all the rooms twice a day to open/close all the curtains? If so, fit net curtains and don't bother :)
  • uk_property_expert
    Options
    Speak to a mortgage broker about how you can use the equity in your property to raise a deposit for a new property. Without a deposit you will not be able to buy somewhere smaller.
    Using the equity and borrowing more will mean paying more. If you sell to raise the deposit then you will probably have a early redemption penalty of around 6%. You could rent somwhere smaller and get consent to let your property getting more rent for yours than what you you pay out but your building society may charge at best a fee or at worst ask you to switch to a different product. You could use the extra rental profit to overpay your mortgage within the limits that the building society allow cutting years off the mortgage
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport