PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying your council house

Options
Is this the right to time to buy?

I am not getting any younger (40's), and I keep thinking about it.

Only trouble is the rent we pay compared to a mortgage would be loads more.

Advice please?

TIA

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have money set aside for all the costs plus sufficient for at least three months mortgage payments should you be unable to work? Do you have a good credit rating and sufficient income to cover the mortgage?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • zarkrax
    Options
    Have no savings to speak off, as such I know I would have to get a deposit together, and have valuation fees etc. With the discount from the council our incomes could cover a mortgage. But the monthly fee of the mortgage is lot more than the rent we are paying. So I wonder if it is worth it. Then we would want improvements etc. But we do get a discount.
  • jenny_13
    jenny_13 Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    Can you cover the mortgage if rates go up? Also by giving up the council house you lose the luxury of someone to do any alterations or modernisation that needs doing. If you do sell the house within a certain number of years you also have to make a payment to the council. (Not sure how much)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport