PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Porting a mortgage

Options
Hi there,

wondered if anyone could help, sorry if these questions sound naive! when bought our shared ownership house a few years ago we bought our 60%share for £66000 putting down a 5% deposit of £3300. We've got 2 years left in our 5 yr fixed rate mortgage. I phoned nationwide to find out how much equity we had and they said if we sold the house for we bought it we'd have roughly £9k. We dont intend on getting a much bigger house and will buy a smaller share so the mortgage wont go up much and may even be smaller. I asked the advisor what sort of deposit we would need, ie. if they'd accept 5% again and he said as we'd be porting the mortgage we wouldnt need to put down a deposit again. I'm aware if the mortgage was smaller there may be an early repayment charge. I asked if he was sure that we wouldnt need a deposit and he said no, he wasnt sure!! so i've come away none the wiser. as you can tell this is my 1st time selling a house!

thanks in advance

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whether you need a deposit depends if there is any equity in your property, you need a valuation! Also don't forget to factor in estate agents fees if any (not sure if your shared ownership can go on the open market) and also legal fees.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Get a valuation and find out if there are any restrictions on the sale and costs for the part ownership.

Add up your other buying and selling costs to see how much ou will have left., thats the deposit for the new place.

Then you will need to find a buyer.

Why take an ERC just port the mortgage you have and get a slightly bigger share.

If you don't have any savings costs may eat too much of the equity to allow you to move.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport