PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Some Advice Required <pretty pls

Options
Hi folks ,

Having a wee debate here between my partner and i ,looking for some extra opinions ,so heres the dilemma :

We are looking to move as we are graduating from uni this year (wooohhooo).Our debate is over whether to sell our property(and boogie on outta here ) or to rent the place out (whilst still booging on otta here lol) >When giving your thoughts pls be aware we havent got much cash and to be honest have been abit foolish in the past with cash ,we have pretty bad credit ratings but have no debt (other than mortgage stuff) and are current with NR with a together mortgage (i know iknow stupidty at its worst ). So Here goes

Our Current Situation :

Mortgage :£48,831 Unsecured Loan :£11,652 paying about £427 (including insurances ).

Have spoken to NR today they've said if we want to sell we can keep secured loan with them at a rate of 9.79% .Recent property sales in our area have been from £58,000+ .

My plan :Sell the place ,keep the secured loan ,either refinance later or over pay loan .By doing this we can then rent somewhere else when me move ,no hassel no fuss ,this time save for deposit and buy another place when we have about 20-30k saved up .

Partners Plan :Rent place out (assuming we get consent to let ,to me abit ifffy whether they would agree) ,move to rented accomadation when we relocate ,hope to god we can find someone to rent out quickly ,and sell in a few years .However this means staying on NR's SVR rate ,as we probably are not gonna be able to re-mortgage

So there it is folks ,hope i explain everything ok ,personally i wanna jump ship ,and set up somewhere else no ties ,he wants to hang on to the old place hopin to make alittle cash

wot to do ????????????????????????????????????????

Comments

• TrickyDicky
    Options
    Can you afford to completly refit the place if the tennents smash the place up and pay no rent?
  • PaisleyPPL
    Options
    thats my point exactly ,if no-one rents thats an extra 427 on top of renting another place .I think altho yeah we could possibly find the cash ,it would probably leaves us scrapping the bottom of the barrell ,were moving to dublin and its looking like rent is goin to be around 900 euro a month ,factoring in that we wont be earning a huge amount as we will be on graduate salaries .
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Haqve you factored in income tax, letting agency fees, repairs, tenants who don't pay/ smash the place up, gaps between tenants, landlords insurance, cost of safety certificates?

As regards your debts, complete one of these in full and consider posting on the Debt-free Wannabe board for advice: http://www.makesenseofcards.com/soacalc.html
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • PaisleyPPL
    Options
    we have looked at costs for renting ,including those uve mentioned ,but when u look at all of that it will be quite tight for us ,it simply comes done to whether its worth being skint for a few years and sell the property when its worth more ,or getting out now and living better off in a rented place ,saving for a more reasonable mortgage i.e having a decent deposit ,would never go down the "together" mortgage route ever ever again >my partner feels that we should really try and make money off the sale of the property ,were as i think we should cut our losses and make a fresh start (all be it witha 11,000 unsecured loan! but we would look to refinance that at some point ,and heavily over pay it ,to get rid of it within 2yrs )
  • pie81
    pie81 Posts: 530 Forumite
    Options
    Seems pretty obvious to me. You are simply not going to make enough from renting the property (once you deduct management fees, empty periods, maintenance expenses, etc) to make letting it worthwhile, unless there is some sort of mega boom in property prices. With the economy the way it is (and likely to stay that way for several years) that seems very, very unlikely. I think your partner is being unrealistically optimistic, your plan is much better.
  • pie81
    pie81 Posts: 530 Forumite
    Options
    PaisleyPPL wrote: »
    whether its worth being skint for a few years and sell the property when its worth more

IF it's worth more. Property prices could easily dip again over the next few years or even fall quite radically. Yes, they could also rise, but this is not guaranteed and you don't have enough of a financial cushion (in fact the reverse) to take the risk of a fall in prices.
  • Fire_Fox
    Options
    Have you used the snowball calculator? http://www.whatsthecost.com/snowball.aspx
    I think you should look at the cost in terms of interest payments on the loan plus mortgage, again the interest payments whilst you overpay the loan. Forget refinancing, you have rubbish credit ratings and this may never happen.
  • PaisleyPPL
    Options
    Ahhh the calculator brings up some shocking figs ,looks like if we over paid it will take 4yrs to pay off .As for re-financing you are right forgeting about is probably the right idea ,however i was trying to find out if when moving to Republic of Ireland ,whether our credit rating would follow? ,if not we thought we may have a chance in a year or 2 if we built up a good rating ,have no idea wot im talking about ,probably talking rubbish .My main thought would be to overpay as much as possible
  • Fire_Fox
    Options
    I am not saying don't try to refinance in a couple of years, I am saying don't factor that into your calculations. Check your loan will not be front-loaded with interest, or overpaying will be pointless.
  • PaisleyPPL
    Options
    sorry if this sounds daft ,but what is front loaded loan ,and how would i know if ive got one ?:rotfl:really shouldnt be graduating from uni im a donut lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport