Question on Employers Redundancy Procedure

Options
I have been told that my job is at risk by my company and I am up for possible redundancy, but I question their procedures. I have just had my first consultation meeting.

I work for a large construction company that is split into several regions. In my region we have a handful of projects and offices.

In my ‘selection pool’ there are only 2 people. We are both of a similar experience level, work on the same project (or building site) and we are the only two people doing my job on this project.

What I question is whether the other people in the region who are of a similar level of experience and doing the same job should also be included in the ‘selection pool’. There is no reason I couldn’t go and work on another project where I may be a better candidate than someone already working there.

They also would not tell me how many of the 2 would be made redundant. They said 0, 1 or 2. They did not yet know as we may be able to relocate, etc, etc. I am sure this is wrong and they should tell us how many they plan on making redundant assuming nothing changes regarding relocation opportunities.
  • Should more people be included in my selection pool of the same job, skill, experience, etc. from other projects within the region?
  • Is there any action that can be taken or any effect from them not specifying how many will be made redundant when asked?
Any replies much appreciated

Comments

• ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I was told I was going to be made redundant, my employer put me on a list whereby if anyone of my vague role profile quit/went on long term sick/retired/so on my name would come up and I would be relocated into that position automatically (subject to my approval of course). At the same time I was guaranteed an interview at any internal job I applied for.

Unfortunately, since at the same time they placed a head cap to revert to the staffing levels they had several years earlier (causing my redundancy in the first place), nothing suitable came up.
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • Proc
    Proc Posts: 860 Forumite
    Options
    Presumably they don't want to give precise numbers just yet because either;

a) It's going to be both of you but they don't want you to panic and drop off work levels

or more likely

b) If they announce financial struggling, possible redundancies etc, they may be banking on some people jumping ship to a different company without a bleak future, or people putting in for voluntary redundancy. Until they've got a good idea of who will resign, who will fight, and who will volunteer, I doubt they'd annonce too many figures.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure