PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenants in Common

Options
Just looking for a basic understanding of this agreement. My sister's friend died recently leaving a husband and their two adult children. Their house was owned outright but for some reason they decided to opt for a Tenants in Common agreement some years back. Sadly the wife died three years ago and the husband realised he had totally misunderstood the situation in respect of Tenants in Common. He has taken legal advice but is unable to continue to pursue it due to lack of finance and fear of upsetting his two adult children. It appears that he is unable to move as the children are unwilling to release the house to him and he feels trapped in his own home. He is only in his early 60's. He has put a great deal of money into the property over the years, including paying the mortgage. The children were left a separate property by their mother which they presently rent out. I am just trying to make sense of Tenants in Common.

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Presumably the wife left a will passing her half of the property to the couple's adult children?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 February 2010 at 3:36PM
    Options
    He could ask the children to buy his half from him.

Legally he should possibly be paying rent for the other half of the house that belongs to the children, but then i suppose it depends what was in the wife's will.

The up side of it is that if the husband is ever ill and has to go into a nursing home they cannot sell the house to pay for care as they cannot force the children to sell their half. I think that is the whole point of Tenants in Common.
    (again, i dont know if a charge for care could be put on his half for when the house is eventually sold )
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • roger196
    roger196 Posts: 610 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Joint tenancy is best avoided for the following reasons. W dies and all of house passes by survivorship to H. H then remarries and has children by second marriage. H dies leaving all house to second wife and children. Children of first marriage have been deprived of their inheritance.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having lost both parents, if the children of the first marriage are worried about being 'deprived of their inheritance' they are heartless creatures. It sickens me how many people are obsessed by a windfall they will only get by being orphaned - I'd rather my parents enjoyed their retirement spending the money they worked damn hard for.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Richard_Webster
    Options
    Holding as tenants in common means that the couple each have their own beneficial share that they can leave by will to someone lese. If they held as joint tenants the property would pass automatically to the survivor regardless of any will.

Under the old law on Inheritance tax before the husband and wife double allowance was introduced, holding a jointly owned property as tenants in common was a first stage in a number of IHT avoidance schemes. A lot of people thought that being tenants in common was all you had to do.

However in this case the wife's half share may have been left to children to avoid inheritance tax on the second death. When the law changed the couple should have changed their wills to leave everything to each other on the death of the first to die and then the the children on the second death.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • jangor_2
    jangor_2 Posts: 280 Forumite
    Options
    I think I will try and obtain further information from the widower as I think both he and his deceased wife failed to understand the implications. From my sister's understanding, having spoken to her friend shortly before her death, she (the friend) stated that her husband would own the property outright on her death and that she had left the second house (this property was her fathers and left to her on his death) to her two children. The husband would like to move but cannot afford to buy the children out and the children are resisting any discussion of him being able to move. Thankyou for your responses.
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    get a solicitor o recheck everything and explain anything it wont cost too much for proper legal advise and would sure up any doubts he has ,
    fire fox absolutly agree on will worriers you know what hey say where theres a will theres a relative.
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • localhero
    localhero Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 February 2010 at 7:39PM
    Options
    It is likely they chose to own as tenants in common to try and make use of two nil rate bands which at the time was not transferable between spouses - though there may be other reasons for this arrangement.

The method used is a bit crude and it would appear that they didn't receive decent advice when making their wills. Whilst at the time the will would have been effective for IHT, there are other practical problems - one of which is playing out here. Better options existed that would have protected the surviving spouse.
    When the law changed the couple should have changed their wills to leave everything to each other on the death of the first to die and then the the children on the second death.

I disagree.

A better option may have been to leave the surviving spouse a life interest in the estate which would give them the freedom to move/downsize etc whilst protecting the assets of the first spouse against the survivor requiring care or remarrying.

If the children are being difficult, (and I read it that they are also the husband's children) then perhaps he should reconsider whether he wants to leave his half of the house to them in his own will.
    [FONT=&quot]Public wealth warning![/FONT][FONT=&quot] It's not compulsory for solicitors or Willwriters to pass an exam in writing Wills - probably the most important thing you’ll ever sign.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Membership of the Institute of Professional Willwriters is acquired by passing an entrance exam and complying with an OFT endorsed code of practice, and I declare myself a member.[/FONT]
  • muskoka
    muskoka Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Options
    If the person died fairly recently, I believe a will can be (can't remember the phrase for it), but say my mum died a year ago - I have up to TWO years to amend her will. This is not challenging the will, just amending it after her death. Can't remember what its called though. Maybe an option?

note - i'm not a lawyer
  • localhero
    Options
    Rereading the first post, it is not clear whether the share as tenants in common has been left to the children or not. I am assuming the other property was given to the children in her will, if so what does the will say about the rest of the estate?
    [FONT=&quot]Public wealth warning![/FONT][FONT=&quot] It's not compulsory for solicitors or Willwriters to pass an exam in writing Wills - probably the most important thing you’ll ever sign.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Membership of the Institute of Professional Willwriters is acquired by passing an entrance exam and complying with an OFT endorsed code of practice, and I declare myself a member.[/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport