Debate House Prices

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

MSE News: Nationwide: House prices creep up 0.7% in March

edited 30 March 2010 at 1:01PM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
137 replies 1.8K views
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The housing market bounced back during March after prices suffered their first fall for 10 months in February, Nationwide says today..."
OfficialStamp.gif
These threads have been merged to avoid duplication. Thanks to mystic_trev for the original post.

Replies

• HAMISH_MCTAVISHHAMISH_MCTAVISH Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

:beer:

Can't complain about that.
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • But I thought we were in a double dip??

My STR strategy is up in smoke now that the stamp duty for FTBs has been stripped away to allow those horrid FTBs to get on the property ladder.

Tarnation!!!
  • Really2Really2 Forumite
    12.4K Posts
    What, so the stamp duty holiday and the cold weather did cause a dip.
    I am amazed no one picked up on that as a possibility why prices and transactions had slipped back.;)
  • marc-h_2marc-h_2 Forumite
    133 Posts
    I wonder how many months or rises there will have to be before people change their opinion.

2easdib.jpg

Where are we now? Does the graph need re-drawing!
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    We were never on it in the first place
  • doire_2doire_2 Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is this what it has come to? People boosting about 0.7%??? :rotfl:

I said it before and i'll say it again......UK average based on very, very low transactions reporting either a rise or fall hardly shows a true picture.

Funny though when its a fall it always seems to be that pesky snow

nollag2006 wrote: »
    But I thought we were in a double dip??

My STR strategy is up in smoke now that the stamp duty for FTBs has been stripped away to allow those horrid FTBs to get on the property ladder.

Tarnation!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8593771.stm
    The 1% stamp duty band - which cover homes worth between £125,000 and £250,000 - will be abolished for two years, but for first-time buyers only.
    The Nationwide said it would save £1,368 for the average first-time buyer, but Mr Gahbauer was unsure if it would made much difference to the market as a whole.
    "Over the course of the last [stamp duty] holiday, there was indeed a modest increase in house purchase transactions, with most of the pick-up seen during the second half of the exemption period," he said.
    "However, transactions remained well below normal levels throughout and it is not clear how much of the pickup was attributable to other factors such as the record cut in interest rates.
    "In addition, there was no appreciable increase in transactions at the lower end of the chain," he pointed out.
  • Really2Really2 Forumite
    12.4K Posts
    marc-h wrote: »
    I wonder how many months or rises there will have to be before people change their opinion.

2easdib.jpg

Where are we now? Does the graph need re-drawing!

I think the best one is when they overlap the 80's to prove a point.
    Unfortunately that shows there was no bulltrap either.

We are in stagnation, you can feel it. The news is stagnant, jobs are stagnant, even this site is stagnant.
    Little ups and downs from now which will = a big fat nothing at the end of the year.(well give or take a few %)
  • edited 30 March 2010 at 9:23AM
    HAMISH_MCTAVISHHAMISH_MCTAVISH Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 March 2010 at 9:23AM
    doire wrote: »
    Is this what it has come to? People boosting about 0.7%??? :rotfl:

Is this what it has come to? Bears boasting that a single month's HPI isn't bigger than 0.7%??? :rotfl:

By the way, 0.7% is the seasonally adjusted figure. Prices actually rose by 1.8%.;)
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • de1amode1amo Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    .7 is a big number in these days of low inflation and interest rates for savers--9pc a year is a profit on sitting on cash!--i say hold cash and ditch property but none of it makes sense!!
    mfw'11 No68- 55k mortgage İO--little to nothing saved! i must do better.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides