PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheap snacks to fill up teenagers

Options

Comments

• hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine eat 9p supernoodles like they are free of charge :o.

Post 170 here for the best no cook flapjacks ever, I dont even like flapjacks and ate moe than I care to admit to.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    edited 4 February 2010 at 8:30PM
    Options
    Banana cake is a hit in our house - great recipe here - http://www.nibblous.com/recipe/825 Also with teens tbh you can't beat toast! My mum used to bake the best cakes ( which my 16 yr old DS now makes ) a plain Victoria sandwich recipe with cocoa and coffee, basically 1 oz of cocoa instead of flour and then a couple of spoons of instant coffee in the tiniest bit of water it will dissolve in. Ice with chocolate butter cream - delicious! Alternatives rind and juice of one orange added to sponge.
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Options
    ooh, Patchwork Cat - Goodfood did a version of your mums cake a few years ago and called it cappuchino cake. They did a white chocolate icing - either way it goes down very well with my teenage steps.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Genuisscuffy
    Genuisscuffy Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    Can you wonderful people help? I am trying to cut down - things a bit tight at the moment and following all your tips - which are working well except for one thing - my two teenagers!!! they eat the main dinner and then about an hour later are starving.. They raid the cupboards and say there is nothing to eat (one likes savoury and the other sweet stuff) so any help on things that are cheap that I can use to fill them up. One likes cocktails sausages, kebabs (I know!!!), bacon sarnies.... the other custard, cakes, sweets!! It is driving me mad I am trying to get us to eat healthy, fruit etc - doing my meal plans and then they clear the cupboards... Help....!
    2010 has got to be better than the last two years!! :rotfl:

Weight loss to date: 3 Stone & 5lbs!! Weight loss this week: 2 lbs !!:j
  • hot.chick
    hot.chick Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Options
    Big bowl of soup as a starter, that might help to fill them up and keep costs down.

For sweet treats, twinks hob nobs (use search to find the recipie)

could you make some cheese straws of sausage rolls for savoury snacks???
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Bread and jam for one and bread and marmite for the other:)
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I dunno, if you're feeding them an adequate meal in the evening they cannot be "starving" just an hour later. I'd limit them to what they can and cannot have outside mealtimes so you're the one in control of supplies, not them. What's wrong with a couple of slices of toast? Marmite or peanit-butter for the savoury-snacker and jam or honey for the sweet-toothed one
  • nettttie
    nettttie Posts: 318 Forumite
    Options
    cheese toasties - which i do on my george f grill.

also for supper I quite often do sweet pancakes, egg, flour and milk with ice cream or chocolate spread.

for my savory teen I keep those 8p noodles in and mix with a cupasoup with some dried chillies. - they are cheap and go down well.

also the value tortilla crisps from tesco - now at 25p with grated cheese on and microwaved for one min are cheap - as chips :cool:

for supper today in my slow cooker i've got flavoured frozen chicken pieces £2 a bag from asda - 2 bags as they'll have mates round later.

we used to have cereal, which is what they have if nothing is in. they do eat you out of house and home though! and mine are only 12 and 13!
  • puss14
    puss14 Posts: 310 Forumite
    Options
    My brothers are both over 6 foot and i remember what a nightmare it was keeping them fed when they were teenagers lol. HM muesli bars, HM dips, HM muffins, falafels are cheap and yummy. Another good one is HM fried rice which can be made quite healthy using brown rice and vegies etc. Maybe once a week have a baking day and try to include fruit in the sweet stuff and bake mini quiches etc or cheese sticks. Tbh when I was a kid my mum would usually make extra rissoles and mash etc or spag bol and then the boys would just have more of that with bread if they got hungry. Pancakes and scones are very cheap to make also.
    Thailand 3010/15000 2015
  • ecsb
    ecsb Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    I make a big bowl of leek and potatoe soup or leave a frittata in the fridge , and they help themselves as soon as they come in from school. Main meal and then cereal or toast later. Fruit between these times
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure