PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheap snacks to fill up teenagers

Options

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    For their lunchboxes my two teen boys (well, the younger one isn't actually a teen till Sunday) take muffins or flapjacks.

For snacks at home you can't beat bread, bread and more bread -with hm jam. The eldest would eat cheese till it came out of his ears, but that's expensive.

Homemade popcorn is a good one too.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Luckily my teenage son loves fruit so I always have plenty in or granola yoghurt another fave - Farmfoods are doing 5 fo £1 at the moment.
    Twinks, Flapjacks, Museli Bars, Cereal, Oat cakes, Crackers and cheese
    Scones, Muffins, Weetabix cake, Traybakes and popcorn
    Have a look at these sites they may help
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pymg1 and click on the links

http://www.bakerella.com/

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/Cheap-family

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp?bmUID=1265286292331
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Heldun
    Heldun Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    More great ideas, thanks. I've started to look all these up and I'm cutting and pasting recipes like mad.

Actually this will be good for my eldest as he can help me with the recipes, both snack and main meal, as he's going to uni in the autumn so the plan was to have major cooking lessons later in the year, but this will bring it forward a bit and will give him a good start on the OS lifestyle.

Charity knitting so far 2010:-

3 blankets
  • craftlady
    craftlady Posts: 256 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine eats cereal - lots of cereal !!!!! 4 weetabix at a time. All ways have lots in. I now buy Mr S own brand and he doesn't notice the difference:D. Also he makes himself porridge in the microwave - value oats are great.
    Wooligans member 2010 - 6 animal blankets. 2 angel wraps, 2 baby hat, 4 Aaron squares, 5 cardigans
    :A :A :A :A :A :A
  • Genuisscuffy
    Options
    Thanks for this its been a great help for me too - I've 2 teenage boys who are constantly starving and because I'm trying to cut down to save some money they are constantly moaning there is no nice stuff in the house!! When I ask what they want its "something nice!!!" such a help so will definately try some of the ideas here.
    2010 has got to be better than the last two years!! :rotfl:

Weight loss to date: 3 Stone & 5lbs!! Weight loss this week: 2 lbs !!:j
  • samanthaneww2d
    Options
    microwave flapjacks take minutes to do and they are really good theres a recipe on here somewhere
  • Winged_one
    Options
    I dono't have hungry teenagers, but a fast loafcake that I make is a Mary Berry recipe:

100g Chopped dried apricots (I usually use mixed peel)
    100g brown sugar
    100g margarine/butter (I usually use the soft baking Stork)
    150g sultanas
    175g SR flour
    75g glace cherries - washed and quartered
    3 eggs

Crack eggs into bottom of a large bowl, add everything else in on top and combine well. Pour into a 1lb loaf tin and bake for approx 60 mins at 160 C. Delish.

I keep looking for other loaf cakes but this does me in the meantime (poor OH doesn't really like all the fruit in it though, so I tend to eat it all to myself....blush).
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cake, crisps and biscuits aren't all that filling or satisfying and if you eat them in big enough quantity to fill you up then they're horribly fattening. My OH and DS could shift a whole HM malt loaf or similar between them in 30 seconds if I let them, so I don't leave home baking lying around tbh.

Bread and peanut butter, banana sandwiches, cheese on toast, sandwiches made with home made egg or tuna mayo, last night's leftovers portioned up in tupperware pots (very popular here!!), cereal and milk, fruit, veg sticks, bread and jam.

For "big" snacks they have beans on toast or baked potatoes or HM soup.
    Val.
  • welshsue
    welshsue Posts: 571 Forumite
    Options
    The weetabix cake is fantastic. Made a couple a while back, really easy to make and delicious. They didn't last long in this house.
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel :rotfl: For quick portable snacks I go for things like fruit, yoghurt, Twinks, hm muffins & sandwiches. For the '2 hours after tea and I'm starving again' snacks I go for things like digestive biscuits with some peanut butter on (only 3 or 4), cheese & crackers, hm soup & bread, poached eggs on toast, beans on toast, weetabix, toast (although DS2 will eat 5 or 6 slices :eek:) and more of the above. I always try to keep a big pan of soup in the fridge so that they can take a portion out & reheat in the microwave and I have had reasonable success with keeping cooked pasta in the fridge to be reheated too. They can put some grated cheese on it, stir through some tomato puree and garlic or anything else they fancy. I often have a bowl of fruit salad on the go too as they're more likely to eat fruit that way.

HTH :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport