Advice needed, first time credit card in my own right.

Options
Although I have held a second credit card on my husband's account for many years I am now in the position of applying for cards in my own right.

I have already applied for Halifax Visa but am not impressed as the cashback which was standing at a mingy 0.5% has now apparently been removed completely. Therefore I am looking to replace this card with another that is widely accepted and gives the best cashback possible.
I've been following the thread on GE but not sure if I should go for that or even if I would get it.

I would also like to apply in my own name for an American Express Blue which I have held as a second card for several years. I need two cards as Amex is not accepted everywhere.

All accounts have always been cleared in full at the end of each month and I propose continuing to do this.

Can anyone give me advice or suggestions as to which would be the most beneficial card/s for me to apply for?

I need them pretty quickly too. Halifax Visa is supposed to be here by the weekend but I don't really want to stay with them if there aren't any benefits.

Many thanks
I'll catch up tomorrow!

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Butterfli wrote:
    I've been following the thread on GE but not sure if I should go for that or even if I would get it.
    Did you read the full Martin's article that is mentioned in the first post of the above thread: Cashback ?
  • Butterfli
    Butterfli Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Actually ,Grumbler, I've spent a lot of time this morning trying to sort this out
    But the more I read the more confused I get.

Conran seems to be a share/profit sharing account which honestly doesn't mean a thing to me.
    Egg is an online account, isn't it? I don't want that.

GE seems to have as many against as for so I don't even know if I should apply.

I'm truly sorry to have asked a stupid question. I'm obviously totally unsuited to be doing this and so I'll just take the one remaining brain cell that I have that's still functioning and quietly stop being a nuisance.
    I'll catch up tomorrow!
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Butterfli wrote:
    Conran seems to be a share/profit sharing account which honestly doesn't mean a thing to me.
    Forget about share/profit. They just promise to pay at least 0.8% cashback and always paid 1%.
    Egg is an online account, isn't it? I don't want that.
    What is wrong with online account? :confused: It isn't even a current account. Just a credit card. Amex don't have high-street branches too.
  • Butterfli
    Options
    So Conran would appear to be an OK deal IYO, grumbler?

I haven't replied before as in my present circumstances am pretty fragile and not up to having any sort of discussion as to why I don't want to go online account. I just know I don't and so you freaked me out a bit and I've only just got the courage to come back.

Anyone else have any opinions?

I'm sorry if my questions appear stupid, I have simply no knowledge or experience in these matters and was looking for guidance.
    I'll catch up tomorrow!
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your question is not stupid, Butterfli.

You have no need to explain to this board why you do not want internet-based accounts.

As you are looking at cashback-based cards, I presume this means you intend to be paying off in full when you get the monthly bill? If this is not the case, then a competitive interest rate is far more beneficial.

The GE Money 3% on grocery/petrol cashback card is the leader on cashback at the moment - but I understand this is paid on a loss-making basis, and GE are using this as a promotion deal, or relying on big non-grocery/petrol use - so you may need to search again after a few months. This board has also indicated many people are being rejected - if you do not have a long credit history in your own right, you may not be accepted for this card.

You could consider applying for one of the 0% on purchases cards - 12 months is available with Sainsburys at the moment - just pay the minumum required each month, and put the rest of the (already spent) money into a savings account and pocket the interest yourself - paying the balance off in full by emptying the accured balance in your savings account, thus paying no interest ever. This may outweigh the cashback of some of the poorer cards. The interest free period may also be a useful financial "buffer" for the next few months whilst you're looking over your finances.

If you regularly shop in the same supermarket, you may find in conjuction with their brand of loyalty points/rewards/dividend you get a good deal with their brand of credit card. A leaflet from the checkout will sort this for you. Co-Op/ Tesco /Waitrose /Sainsbury /Asda all have some kind of deal available. Others probably do, to.
  • Butterfli
    Options
    Thank you Stuart.

All credit card accounts are always paid off in full at the end of the month but I do see your point in suggesting a 0% interest card.
    It wouldn't work for me though as I need everything to be as simple as possible for me just at the moment.
    I did actually take the plunge 2 days ago with GE. Initially I rang them for all details, just to make sure I'd fully understood and the guy said he could make an application for me there and then. I was accepted on the spot and should be getting paperwork within 5 working days so hopefully all will go well.

Still no sign of the Halifax Visa that I was promised would arrive by Friday of last week.
    I'll catch up tomorrow!
  • regularsaver1
    regularsaver1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Options
    cards take about 7-10 days via post after acceptance

your pin number should come first - if you received this your card will follow shortly
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure