£5 for the weekend

Hi everybody,

I'm currently thinking about the weekend coming up and how much cash I don't want to spend! Thing is, OH is out on Saturday and that is usually my cue to head to the shops with the girls or go out for lunch. This weekend I don't want to do either. I have £5 in my purse and am determined not to get any more cash out until next week.

So...I wondered...what do you wonderful people suggest for Saturday afternoon's free/low spend activities?

So far my best idea has been to have a wardrobe clearout and put my old clothes on ebay but I doubt that'll take all afternoon. Any other ideas about what to do with £5 for the weekend?

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    To be honest wardrobe clearout and ebay sound like a good plan (this would take me all afternoon and evening I know!). What about having one or more of the girls round for a gossip or a clothes swap. You could even do basic lunch for a fiver (homemade soup and a french stick perhaps?)

If you are in a city what about looking what free museums/galleries are open? Or head to the local library?
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    I used to love the Central library in our city when we I was younger and had no money. Go for a long walk, borrow someones dog lol
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • what about borrowing a dvd from a friend.bar of chocolate a face pack.a comfy cushion,lovely after a mad hour or two of ebay listing & sorting.x
    mum "e" to the most perfect girl :Awho stood by me through it all nana to my beautiful grandson WLM 27.09.13:j
    mother of the bride September 2014 :love:
    Turning a house into a home :o
    What if the Hokey Cokey is really what it's all about ?
  • Nice walk? Bake or some other hobby? Go for a swim? Watch a DVD?
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Actually if I had 5hours to kill, I'd probably do what I normally do - spend (waste) it here on MSE :rotfl:
    (I'd be fine as long as I stay away from the boards that encourage me to spend)
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    OK, it's gotta start with ebay! I can imagine it would take me all day if I did it right but I end up getting a bit bored with the whole thing. Last time it was a shoe clear out when I only sold 2 pairs and got so annoyed with the others lying in bags around the house that I just took them to the charity shop. Didn't quite make the riches I'd imagined. :)

Best get reading the ebay threads!!

(Hmm, trouble with the library is that it's sooo close to the shops!!)

Thanks everyone xx
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi
    How about batch cooking for the freezer
    Doing one of those jobs you hate
    Long soak in the bath, facepack manicure and pedicure
    (If I ever tackled all the ironing that would take me 5 hours!)
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • timmmers
    timmmers Posts: 3,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Come over to the competitions threads and spend ALL DAY entering and trying to win stuff instead of buying it :) To enter all the comps posted would actually take much more than a day, but it's V day soon so there's some nice treats up for grabs that may take your fancy right now :)

Word of warning, it's addictive.
    It's free though, ad between us we don't do too shabbily (read the "I won I won" thread top of the section and you'll see that.

t
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • linz
    linz Posts: 1,914 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    You could compromise with the desire to shop and see if the charity shops had something you liked with your fiver?
    #2 - Save £2024 in 2024
    #35 - Save £12k in 2024
  • savingqueen
    savingqueen Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    phone or write to an old friend to catch up on news (rather than emailing,texting etc for a change). buy a bottle of plonk and invite a friend to share it. get a good book from library or take weekend papers and sit for a couple of hours in a coffee shop.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure