PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Storage Heater wont come on

Options
Hi , my tenent rang me today to say the storage heater wont come on.I am going round tomorow to see if it is being used correctly.My question is the storage heater is new really not seen through two winters yet and they arnt used in summer.Who will need to see to the problem.

1. Me because i own the property.
2.The developer because its not out of its two yrs snag list (or does is not apply to this sort of thing.
3.Will it be still under guarantee and the supplier will send me a new one, in that case who will pay the bill to fit it.
...In the passed i now they can be tripped off if people place things over them but i dont think this is the case or i hope not.
I am willing to pay for it but i wandered should I? as its new and my freind has storage heaters and they been working for 12yrs problem free..
Many thanks for any replies in advance.

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The problem might not be with the storage heater, it might be the tenant not understanding that it needs to come on at night, might be faulty electrics, loose wiring, might be a fuse that has blown. As you say storage heaters do not often go wrong. Either way you as landlord are responsible for repairing or replacing the item within a 'reasonable' time frame: if you then opt to chase the supplier or developer under the SOGA the tenant should not be inconvenienced by that.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Ladybird20
    Options
    He does have another storage heater in that room so it isnt cold,,he is also a great tenant so i wont to sort it as soon as.....he hasnt been using it on the economy 7 even though i did a demo he has been using it on demand,,i didnt know you could do that , i thought storage heaters are for "storing" electric ,,hence the name ,,thank you for your swift reply ,,,
  • shane42
    shane42 Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    it has a boost like a fan, it may not be working because he has not turned it on , it should have two isolators nearby
  • Ladybird20
    Options
    it has been working tho since september......using it on demand and not as i had demonstrated
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 February 2010 at 1:08AM
    Options
    Ladybird20 wrote: »
    He does have another storage heater in that room so it isnt cold,,he is also a great tenant so i wont to sort it as soon as.....he hasnt been using it on the economy 7 even though i did a demo he has been using it on demand,,i didnt know you could do that , i thought storage heaters are for "storing" electric ,,hence the name ,,thank you for your swift reply ,,,

How cold the room is is a separate issue to the fact that this item form part of the contract and you, as landlord, are required to repair or replace within a 'reasonable' timeframe. Are you a member of a landlords association yet, you sound inexperienced? If the heater was working and now is not clearly you need an electrician.

Some storage heaters are on a separate electric loop with their own meter on a time clock controlled by the energy supplier. Hence they will only switch on overnight; others are on the same electric loop and ALL the electricity goes to cheap rate for seven hours overnight.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Some storage heaters have a 'dual' heating facility, like a panel heater. It's possible that this side of the heater has developed a fault. It may be that your tenant finds it easier or more economical to use the on demand side of the heating rather than the storage side.
    It is usually a very simple job for an electrician to sort out, storage/dual heaters have no moving parts.
    Hope you manage to sort it out swiftly, the weather is darned cold atm!
    All the best
    bb
  • Ladybird20
    Options
    Well i called round tonight room is warm as there is another storage heater in the room,,the fuse light is on and the light is on on the timer section,i think its a call for the electrician tomorow thanks for replies....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport