Threatened Redunacy please help

Options
Hi I am posting this on behalf of my friend who is sat with me. She has worked for this company since 5th February 2008. Not on any probation period and is salaried and is 37.
Through another channel (not the proper channel ie Boss) she has found out that she is going to be made redundant as the company she works for cannot afford to keep her there due to lack of work. She has had no notice or letters etc of this from the Boss.
She is also waiting on a large bonus and expenses from the company, every time she asks about them she is told they have been paid or will be in the next few days but to date she still has not received either.
The company in question is not a english company but have a office or two in this country but seem to be very good at laying off foreign workers with no payouts. The bonus was verbally agreed with her manager who in turn went to his manager. She also has witness's about the bonus being agreed.
She has just checked her contract and there is nothing at all about being made redundant at all.
Her questions are -
Can the company just make her redundant with first consulting her? As she has read that they have to write to inform her first and then have a meeting..........
Will the company still pay her bonus and also her expenses?
What kind of notice do the company have to give her?
What is the process the company should have to comply with?

Hope someone can help my friend and she is saying she will be very grateful for any help as is due to see the boss tomorrow and they dont know she knows.
Wins This Year - 2/1 Dog coat.

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Whats the contract notice?

2 years is close so redundancy could be 2 years but with no policy this is only £380py statutory

Expences should be paid per contract

Bonus what were the term? (many have terms that need you working beyond the date you "earned" the bonus).

she has found out that she is going to be made redundant as the company she works for cannot afford to keep her there due to lack of work.

There should be consultation and this is the main point to challenge when notified unless she agrees it is lack of work for her.
  • jojopo000
    jojopo000 Posts: 576 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Whats the contract notice
    2 years is close so redundancy could be 2 years but with no policy this is only £380py statutory s

Expences should be paid per contract

Bonus what were the term? (many have terms that need you working beyond the date you "earned" the bonus).

she has found out that she is going to be made redundant as the company she works for cannot afford to keep her there due to lack of work.

There should be consultation and this is the main point to challenge when notified unless she agrees it is lack of work for her.

Her contract says she has to give one months notice and also same from the company.
    The bonus was agreed verbally with her boss and was supposed to of been paid last week but she hasnt received it and when she approached her boss about it they said they would chase and sounded surprised that she hadnt already received it. There is nothing on her contract about any payments of bonus.
    Wins This Year - 2/1 Dog coat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport