PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

selling and buying queries

Options
Hi,

i am thinking about selling my flat and buying a house in the same area.
I'm a bit confused about what order I should do things in.

Do I put my flat on the market and then start looking for a house - running the risk that any offer on my flat couldn't proceed until i've found a house (or vice versa).

Also I'm not sure about getting a "mortgage agreed in principle" - can they do this without me knowing exactly how much i will want to borrow as I won't know that until i find the place I want to buy.

Any thoughts? I've already read the house buying and selling money saving tips and have found them very useful
MS Stalwart. Used site for >10 years :j

Make Do, Mend and Minimise member - focussing on upcycling/repurposing and sewing

Comments

• princessamy86
    Options
    It's usual to put your house on the market and then have a look round to see what you like. You're spot on about offers not being able to proceed, but most buyers will wait a few weeks for a vendor to find somewhere to move to, and if you've already had a look you will have a better idea of what you like. Vendors will sometimes not even show people round unless they have their property on the market, and on the flipside would you want to show someone round who didn't have their property on the market?

You can definitely get a mortgage AIP before you have made the decision on the property, it just gets adjusted when you actually find somewhere and sign up to a deal.
    Scar tissue that I wish you saw, sarcastic mister know it all, close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause with the birds I'll share this lonely view.
  • pie81
    pie81 Posts: 530 Forumite
    Options
    what princessamy86 said. We found we were not taken seriously as viewers by EAs until we had our place on the market, and it was made clear to us that we needed to get our place under offer before any offer we made on a new place would be acceptable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport