PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How long would you wait for buyer?

Options
dodgy
dodgy Posts: 162 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 2 February 2010 at 1:18PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi.

We've been selling our unoccupied house for several months now. We found a buyer after a couple of weeks on the market who pulled out, and then we found a new buyer only a couple of weeks after that. This buyer was chain free and living in rented and wanted a quick sale, so we agreed a price that reflected that. This was in late August 09.

Since then the buyer has been making excuse after excuse about lost paperwork, needing to reapply for their mortgage, and a million other things and has been going in "next week" to sign contracts for weeks. They commissioned a survey in November, we know they have received a mortgage offer for the property, yet still they haven't signed or exchanged. The latest was that the homebuyers survey suggested a routine check on the Gas, Electricity and Drains (as they always do), and now the buyer wants us to pay for that - something they have only just thought to mention despite the survey being complete in November. Needless to say we've told him politely to fund those himself if he wants them done.

I was wondering how long you would give someone. As the house is now costing us council tax again, we're keen to finally sell it, but not sure how many second chances to give this buyer before we move on and find someone else.

Any advice, or your experience, would be gratefully received.

Comments

• dgerati
    dgerati Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds to me like you need to weigh up the cost of pursuing this buyer verses the cost of keeping it on the market until another buyer comes along.

Did you take it off the market when you accepted the offer? What about suggesting you are happy to pay for the checks as long as buyer is happy for you to put it back on the open market? See what buyer thinks of that?
  • boots_babe
    boots_babe Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We had the exact same situation on our sale a couple of years ago. Agreed a relatively low price as buyer was chain free, ready to proceed etc.

4 months later, NO progress, and my gentle attempts at asking what was going on (treading carefully so as not to upset them) ended up with them accusing us of all sorts - I think they were just totally unhinged!

Anyhow, my point is, looking back, we shoudl have made acceptance of the low offer on condition of exchanging within set time period. And if this didn't occur, we should have put back on market whilst the buyer sorted themselves out.

Sounds like your buyer either has cold feet, or has geniune issues with trying to arrange the purchase. And you don't want to be waiting around for either of these cases, you'd be best to put it back on the market.
  • Chinkle
    Chinkle Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You should definately have set a timescale for exchange/completion at the outset.

Sounds like you have a very nervous FTB on your hands. Suggest you now set a tight deadline and threaten to put the house back on the market if this expires.
  • mlz1413
    mlz1413 Posts: 2,894 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd put it back on the market or at very least give the buyer a deadline before putting back on market.

Make it clear that you are happy to continue with their purchase but you feel that 5 months is long enough to have exchanged and set a completion date.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks to all for the suggestions,we need to have a long think if this guy will ever exchange.

I agree a near-term deadline is probably the way to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport