More economical to have heating switched on all time?

Options
I have a gas boiler with a remote thermostat control on my landing. I used to have my heating set so that it would be heating the house from 5:30 - 8:30am and then 16:30 - 21:30 pm. As I had the remote thermostat set to high (at 22 degrees) the heating would be on constant as the heat in the house would take forever to get to 22 degrees and therefore never really switched off.

I've now changed the remote thermostat to 17 degrees so when the house is heated to 17 degrees the heating switches off and if the temperature drops below this the heating switches back on again.

I've now got my heating set to constantly on so that the boiler switches the heating off and on according to the remote thermostat.

I'm thinking this is a more economical way of using my gas - having the remote thermostat controlling the heating rather the heating being on constant for 8 hours a day. Am I right in thinking this?

Comments

• espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    picklednut wrote: »
    I have a gas boiler with a remote thermostat control on my landing. I used to have my heating set so that it would be heating the house from 5:30 - 8:30am and then 16:30 - 21:30 pm. As I had the remote thermostat set to high (at 22 degrees) the heating would be on constant as the heat in the house would take forever to get to 22 degrees and therefore never really switched off.

I've now changed the remote thermostat to 17 degrees so when the house is heated to 17 degrees the heating switches off and if the temperature drops below this the heating switches back on again.

I've now got my heating set to constantly on so that the boiler switches the heating off and on according to the remote thermostat.

I'm thinking this is a more economical way of using my gas - having the remote thermostat controlling the heating rather the heating being on constant for 8 hours a day. Am I right in thinking this?

Why don't you use that thing that measures exactly how much gas you use? What's it called, oh yes the gas meter. Then you could see for yourself it it's actually cheaper or if your theory is simply a load of hot air!

:rotfl:
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • red_flump
    Options
    picklednut wrote: »

I would suggest the best way is to leave it on timed 5:30-8:30 and 16:30-21:30, no point in heating the house when you are asleep or out, but set the thermostat to say 19-20C. That way if the house should warm up enough to be comfortable, but as soon as it starts getting milder, the heating will be on less as the house will reach temp quicker, and the boiler will be shut off more.
    I would also put the boilers own thermostat up high in winter (unless you are concerned about hot radiators) as this means the house will warm up quicker.

Just set and forget!

Red
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,587 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Why change teh timings and the temperature? Why not keep the timings and simply lower the thermostat to 17 degrees? It will be cheaper than having the heating on tickover 24/7.
  • Sheff21
    Options
    daveyjp wrote: »
    Why change teh timings and the temperature? Why not keep the timings and simply lower the thermostat to 17 degrees? It will be cheaper than having the heating on tickover 24/7.

Thats exactly what I thought I used to have water and heating on timer but people keep telling me to keep hot water and heating on all day, just change thermostat up and down when needed. Surely when both of us work full time and arent in the house that much we would be better leaving it on timer??!! I dont know what we should do
  • metalfury
    Options
    Seems straightforward to me, and others have given the solution.

Set your timer to turn on 30 mins before you get up/get home and turn off 30 mins before you go out/goto bed. This means that the house is warm when you get up/ arrive at home and you're not paying for heating when you're in bed or at work. There's no point in heating the house until the second you leave the door, it will take a little time to cool down.

Use the thermostat to maintain the 17 degrees during that time. If it's too hot turn it down a little, if it's too cold turn up a little or put a jumper on.

MF
    Save Money, Make Money, Retire Early!
    astore.amazon.co.uk/money-making_money-saving-21
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills