PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New regulations for house share renting on the way

Options
http://www.totallymoney.com/news/index.php/2010/01/landlords-body-condemns-government-plans-to-reduce-supply-of-shared-housing/

This was announced last week so I was suprised not to find a post on it here already (appologies if there is and I missed it).

Apparantly properties that are to be rented out as house shares to 3 or more people will now require planning permission as a change of use (so doesn't effect those currently rented out). I'm still trying to come to some conclusions about it.
Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop

Comments

• clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    edited 1 February 2010 at 2:14PM
    Options
    it will mean a lot less accommodation available for the single homeless... thats what it will mean.......

do people here know that if a single homeless person has no address they are entitled to NOTHING in the way of benefits - and that is why they have to beg - for money for food ....

Its a scandal ......

i really dont understand this at all... every town's Local Plan includes council policy as to how many HMOs they plan for in the next 10 years.... if there is a shortage in one area, the council will welcome them with open arms, if there is an excess in another area the council will not give permission

it seems to me that the legislation is already there....
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nothing has actually happend yet as far as I know. They are government proposals.
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Options
    anselld wrote: »
    Nothing has actually happend yet as far as I know. They are government proposals.

It's supposed to be introduced this April, which seems quite quickly to me. I think this is an over reaction and as Clutton says existing leglislation exits that can deal with the problem.

I think that they should just license landlords if they want even more control, I'm a LL and I would welcome landlord licensing.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • clutton_2
    Options
    ""I would welcome landlord licensing.""

why ?

did you read the Rugg proposals ?
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wonder what the government will do if it gets to the stage where there are more young single people looking for shared accommodation than is available? If you are under 25 you are only entitled to shared rate LHA; over 25 and you can claim for a one bedroom flat but probably won't be able to afford the bills (electric heating = fuel poverty).
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • chucknorris
    edited 1 February 2010 at 2:35PM
    Options
    clutton wrote: »
    ""I would welcome landlord licensing.""

why ?

did you read the Rugg proposals ?

I can't claim to have thoroughly read the full report, but I did read sections of it.

I would welcome licensing because it would eliminate some rogue LL's which would be good for both renters and decent LL's.

Unrelated to this topic but nevertheless of interest to me in the Rugg report was the recomendation to allow the cost improvements to property (in addition to maintenance costs) to be offset against income tax rather than having to wait until disposal and offset it against capital gains tax. I think this also would benefit tenants and LL's. Although it's a bit late for me as I have already improved my properties to the standard that I want to and I planning to sell up in 5-10 years anyway and definitely not buying any more.
  • chewmylegoff
    chewmylegoff Posts: 11,466 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    only justification i can think of is HMO is a non-standard definition and it is down to the local council to define what it means in their area (i think that's right, will probably turn out to be load of rubbish though). still, could just have amended whatever is already in place rather than pass a new piece of legislation - this govt loves to legislate...
  • fishtaxi
    fishtaxi Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    it will mean a lot less accommodation available for the single homeless... thats what it will mean.......

do people here know that if a single homeless person has no address they are entitled to NOTHING in the way of benefits - and that is why they have to beg - for money for food ....

Not really- they can register with a homeless organisation or a night shelter, and legally use the address of the premises as a means of claiming benefits and receiving post.
  • clutton_2
    edited 1 February 2010 at 3:47PM
    Options
    Licensing ""would eliminate some rogue LL's which would be good for both renters and decent LL's. ""

others argue this .. and i just dont get it.... if rogue landlords right now are not complying with Deposit protection, Landlords gas safety cert, repairs obligations etc etc - why should a new bit of legislation requiring them to fill in forms and pay £500 for a license make ANY difference whatsoever .... they will just add this new legislation to their "ignore list"

""only justification i can think of is HMO is a non-standard definition and it is down to the local council to define what it means in their area""

the 2004 Act was very specific in defining a HMO - licensable and non-licenseable...

but..... local authorities up and down the land have "interpreted" the regs to suit their own needs and there no is no real answer to the question "what is a HMO" - as the only correct answer is always - "ask your local authority"....
  • chucknorris
    Options
    Licensing ""would eliminate some rogue LL's which would be good for both renters and decent LL's. ""

others argue this .. and i just dont get it.... if rogue landlords right now are not complying with Deposit protection, Landlords gas safety cert, repairs obligations etc etc - why should a new bit of legislation requiring them to fill in forms and pay £500 for a license make ANY difference whatsoever .... they will just add this new legislation to their "ignore list"

I belive it is about introducing a monitoring system on LL's so a history of offences can be maintained and more easily policed. If they lose their licence (or operate without one) presumably they can be heavily penalised, granted as you say other legilsation can also do this but additionally they can be barred from owning investment property. Also I suspect that the mortgage lenders would insist on checking the LL held a license before granting a BTL mortgage.

Also it would allow the Inland Revenue to ensure that licensed LL's are paying tax. If I am paying tax I consider it unfair if some of my competitors are not.

I'm not sure where you got £500 fee from? I seem to recall that the figure was to be a lot lower than that, although I haven't actually read up on this subject for a very long time now. So it's possible I am unaware of further development/discussions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure