what are we entitled to??

Options
hi, my husband is(was) self employed but had his last job before xmas.
so beginning of jan he signed on for jobseekers allowance.
on friday we had a letter to say that he is not entitled to JA because he hasnt paid any class 1 contributions (which you cant pay when you are self employed)
and also because my earnings are too high (the government say a couple with 2 children can manage on £100 per week..) so because i work 20 hours and get about £120 per week we are over the limit!!

does anyone know if there is an alternative to JA for the unemployed to claim???
thanks

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Do you claim CTC and WTC?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • eyelashes74
    Options
    yes we do, i was under the impression they would stay the same though as they go off last years earnings??
    but when i informed them about the situation and from what they said about my payment schedule it looks like we may even be getting a little bit less than we did.:(
  • eyelashes74
    Options
    i've not misled anyone into thinking anything!
    some people who come on these threads just want an argument.....why do they do that?

anyway to get back to the point....
    my husband has paid class 1's for the past 20 years, apart from the last 12 months while he has been self employed and cant claim anything now that he is out of work...i'm simply asking if anyone knows of an alternative to JA?
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    i've not misled anyone into thinking anything!
    some people who come on these threads just want an argument.....why do they do that?

anyway to get back to the point....
    my husband has paid class 1's for the past 20 years, apart from the last 12 months while he has been self employed and cant claim anything now that he is out of work...i'm simply asking if anyone knows of an alternative to JA?

No there is not an alternative if he is looking for work.
  • eyelashes74
    Options
    yes he is.....
    thanks anyway.
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    Why have your tax credits gone down? I know you will probably lose the 30 hour element but it shouldn't be lower overall, I wouldn't have thought?

LHA/Housing Benefit (if you rent) and Council Tax Benefit may be worth checking.
  • eyelashes74
    Options
    well i was a bit surprised too...its not much prob about £5 per week but i thought it would stay the same at least. i am going to phone back tomorrow to check....
    thanks, constructive advice is always far more helpful!!!;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure