PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

do different councils have different rules for housing benefit payment?

Hi, hopefully someone can help me.

What I would like to know is do some councils have different rules to other when it comes to housing benefits and who they are paid to?

More specifically do some councils allow the tenant to sign a waiver/ agreement for the benefit to be paid direct to the landlord from day one? as the ones I have come across so far stipulate the tenant must be either in two months of arrears or prove they are incapable of managing their own money for the benefit to be paid direct to the landlord.

Hopefully someone know. Thanks :)

Comments

• clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Under the terms of the 2004 Housing Act - the only tenants who are allowed to have their LHA paid directly to the landlord are those tenants who are described as "Vulnerable" - ask your council what their definition of vulnerbility is...... and how you might prove vulnerability for a potential tenant

other than that.. all LHA goes to tenants......

once a tenant is 8 weeks in arrrears, a LL can apply to the council for direct payment...
  • squinty
    squinty Posts: 573 Forumite
    The short answer is no. Councils do not set the rules for HB /LHA - they merely administer this on behalf of government.
  • clutton_2
    but different councils need different sorts of "proof" to prove vulnerability.....
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    There was stuff about this on the telly tonight. It's being suggested that:
    - LHA needs to be looked at because (while it is a good system/works) it can lead cr4p landlords to charge LHA rates for cr4ppy flats just because that's the price. This would result in there being further bandings for LHA, so cr4ppy fl4ts in cr4ppy areas would attract a lower LHA than the median.
    - Shelter want the tenant to be able to sign to get it paid directly to the LL, in the hope this would persuade more LLs to accept DSS
    - LHA needs to start paying monthly, rather than 2-weekly/4-weekly, to enable tenants to budget more easily where their rent is due monthly.
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • I wasn't aware that LHA was paid anything other than monthly in arrears, as mine is. I did query this with the council and was informed that it was policy these days. I remember when HB was paid in the middle of the month, meaning you were sort of 2 weeks in arrears and 2 weeks ahead so to speak. Paying in arrears seems to me to be at odds with what every landlord requires.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    I suspect it's easier if the tenant wants it rather than the landlord wants it...
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The landlord would need to agree and if already being paid on time then i doubt they would take on the potential liability of the payments having to be returned due to overpayment and then having to chase the tenant.

Quote from my council website says .........
    [URL="javascript:"]Question[/URL] : When may the council make payments to my landlord? ‎(1)
    blank.gifAlthough you cannot choose to have your benefit paid to your landlord, the council can, in the following circumstances, decide to pay benefit to your landlord :

If you are eight weeks or more in arrears with your rent
    If you are likely to have difficulty in managing your financial affairs
    If you are unlikely to pay your rent
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • clutton_2
    landlords dont like LHA because of huge arrears that have built up nation-wide by LHA scammers ......

i get some LHA two weeks in arrears and others 4 weeks in arrears..... i wish i got paid monthly - as it makes accounting so much easiers.

it also means that if a LL has agreed to take a LHA tenant on monthly in arrears, then depending on when the tenant leaves, a LL may not be able to comply with deposit protection timeframe to put in any claim on the deposit within 14 days as they wont know if all the rent has been paid for anything up to a month....
  • HappyMJ wrote: »
    The landlord would need to agree and if already being paid on time then i doubt they would take on the potential liability of the payments having to be returned due to overpayment and then having to chase the tenant.

Quote from my council website says .........
    Question : When may the council make payments to my landlord? ‎(1)
    blank.gifAlthough you cannot choose to have your benefit paid to your landlord, the council can, in the following circumstances, decide to pay benefit to your landlord :

If you are eight weeks or more in arrears with your rent
    If you are likely to have difficulty in managing your financial affairs
    If you are unlikely to pay your rent

thanks to everyone for all the replies, very interesting

HappyMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, which council is that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure